Google Web Analytics for tracking institutional pageviews

Carolyn Sullivan

Aug 18, 2023, 2:43:25 PM8/18/23
to AtoM Users
Hello,

I'm trying to follow the directions here to set up custom dimensions in Google Analytics to track institutional pageviews for my multirepository AtoM:

I'm not seeing the option for 'Hit' under Scope.
Capture.PNG

Suggestions?

Thank you for your time and assistance,
Carolyn.

Dan Gillean

Aug 18, 2023, 3:50:29 PM8/18/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carolyn,

Hmmm, I will ask around, but I'm not sure - I definitely see Hit mentioned in the Google documentation, both in the link you sent in the text under scope, as well as here:
Strangely, only User from your screenshot matches anything I am seeing in the Google resources. They are known for "moving fast and breaking things," as the saying goes - it's possible they have made recent updates and the support resources haven't quite caught up yet? I'm not sure!

I have not really spent much time with custom dimensions myself. As I mentioned, I will ask around if any of our team can offer further suggestions.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Carolyn Sullivan

Aug 18, 2023, 3:52:02 PM8/18/23
to AtoM Users
Thanks, I'll try sending in a ticket to the Google folks myself as well!

Carolyn Sullivan

Aug 18, 2023, 4:22:55 PM8/18/23
to AtoM Users
One more additional note--the link on this page: https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.7/admin-manual/maintenance/web-analytics/#google-analytics for webalizer.org (another logfile analysis tool) redirects to some super sketchy-looking site with the title 'North Carolina 2A Lawyers'.  Does this webalizer project still exist, and if so, what is its new domain?

Thanks,
Carolyn.

Dan Gillean

Aug 21, 2023, 8:05:41 AM8/21/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carolyn,

Good catch - it looks like the project is at:
I will get that link fixed ASAP - but it's worth noting that the last stable release for this project does appear to be in 2013, so likely not the best alternative anymore. Wikipedia does have this helpful page:
At a very fast glance, Open Web Analytics might be one to investigate from this list that seems reasonably comparable and still maintained.

In any case, thanks for the heads up, and sorry for the confusion!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Dan Gillean

Aug 21, 2023, 8:25:12 AM8/21/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again Carolyn,

A couple quick notes:

First, about my last message - for log file analysis (and not web analytics), perhaps a more relevant alternative might be:
In regards to your original question: it seems that Google has created new documentation for the updated G4 analytics, which is somewhat different. Meaning - we will need to review and update our docs as well. In the meantime, here's a link to a resource on Scopes in G4:
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Dan Gillean

Aug 21, 2023, 8:42:17 AM8/21/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
I have filed the following issue so we can review this internally and update our documentation to reflect these changes. Thanks again for brining this to our attention!
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Carolyn Sullivan

Aug 31, 2023, 11:43:40 AM8/31/23
to AtoM Users
Hello Dan,

Weirdly, I'm not getting ANY data through Google Analytics (specific to the scope in question or otherwise).  I've put the tracking ID in the config/app.yml file, I've updated the _footer.php file in [atom home]/apps/qubit/templates to conform with the more recent code from Google (like https://github.com/artefactual/atom/blob/3f31c4efb7fb0c4deaf78ae0ea0735984f14ac8a/apps/qubit/templates/_footer.php), restarted nginx and php7.4-fpm and cleared my caches.  Nothing.  Any suggestions?

Dan Gillean

Sep 1, 2023, 8:49:02 AM9/1/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carolyn,

I will need to consult with our developers to see if they have suggestions. As far as I can tell, changing the _footer code was the only thing added to 2.7 to update the analytics for G4, so if your footer matches, you've updated your tracking code to the new G4 type in the config file, you've restarted services, and you've waited at least a day for the analytics to take effect - and you're still seeing nothing, then... I'm not sure.

Given the changes you found (and the ticket we filed), it's possible that Google has made enough further changes since we included the update that it's no longer working, and we need to make further changes to keep up with what Google's done. Can you please remind me again what AtoM version you are using? I will see if our team has further ideas to try in the meantime.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Carolyn Sullivan

Sep 1, 2023, 10:07:55 AM9/1/23
to AtoM Users
Thanks, Dan.  I'm using version 2.7.

Dan Gillean

Sep 1, 2023, 10:20:55 AM9/1/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carolyn,

I'm still trying to do some information gathering on this end but, a few initial updates:
  • I have confirmation that we have clients who are successfully using the new G4 analytics with AtoM 2.7.x - so we know it CAN work, and that recent Google changes haven't fully broken the integration
  • However, we are also seeing some inconsistencies in how these updates have been applied - so we are organizing an internal meeting to review all of this, and hopefully in the process address the issue you flagged about the Tag Manager documentation, etc.
  • As far as I can see, manually updating the _footer.php file to match the latest qa/2.x version (here) *should* work - but a better bet would be to ensure you are upgraded to the latest version of AtoM and not making custom local changes. Sometimes there are changes in other PRs that affect things, but aren't properly captured as atomic commits in the development process.
  • One thing you can try is using your browser's Inspect tools to verify if the analytics are being sent "home." For example, using Chrome:
  • On your homepage, right-click and select Inspect
  • In the Elements tab of the browser's Dev tools console, you should be able to expand the <body> element, and see your Google tag in <script> elements near the footer, like so:
Screenshot from 2023-09-01 10-02-07.png

  • Now navigate to a hierarchical description view page. In the Network tab, add  "G-" into the filter (looks like search box), which should filter the network call results to those related to Google. If things are working, then when you click around the treeview a bit, you should see 204 pings here. Hovering over them should show them as analytics or tag manager links, like so:
Screenshot from 2023-09-01 10-08-56.png

The Analytics / Tag Manager dashboard has its own Dev tools as well apparently, so if you can see the code properly in the footer, AND you can see the calls going from your AtoM site back to Google, then I'd suggest following up in the Analytics dashboard to see what you can learn there, as well as digging into their docs.

Finally, one thing you could try is manually adding the tracking snippet to the  _header file instead, in case it makes a difference. This would be a crude workaround until we can get things sorted and consistent on our end, but it might work if tracking isn't working as expected in the footer. Try following this, for example?
In the meantime, once we've managed to have an internal meeting, I will hopefully have further information. I hope this helps in the meantime with a bit of diagnosis!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Carolyn Sullivan

Sep 1, 2023, 11:19:22 AM9/1/23
to AtoM Users
And data collection is active -- on doublechecking the updates to the footer script, there was a small typo that was disabling it.  Didn`t realize until I inspected it in the browser.  Thanks for all your help!

Dan Gillean

Sep 1, 2023, 12:16:45 PM9/1/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Whew! Glad to hear it - thanks for the update!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.