Replacing digital object but keeping metadata

Tom Steman

Apr 17, 2024, 5:02:25 PMApr 17
to AtoM Users
Hi all,

A question about replacing images in AtoM.  We are nearly finished with our data migration from Archon to AtoM.  The instance has 9000 digital objects.

What I am wondering is if I can replace master file in AtoM, but not lose the accompanying metadata.  I know I could delete the image and the metadata will be deleted with it - then I'd have to recreate it.

I thought I had done this in testing our instance of AtoM a bit ago, but maybe I was doing something else.  I can't figure it out if it is possible.  And there is no mention of it in the documentation either.

We are using version 2.7.3.

Any help or insight?

Tom Steman

José Raddaoui

Apr 19, 2024, 8:18:36 PMApr 19
to AtoM Users
Hi Tom,

You should be able to edit the digital object attached to an archival description. In the archival description page at the bottom, expanding the more menu should show an option to edit the digital object only.

Best,
Radda.

Dan Gillean

Apr 23, 2024, 9:09:29 AMApr 23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

For bulk updating, you could also look at the digital object load task. It includes a --replace option for when a digital object already exists. See:
Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056