Duplicate records appearing in full width treeview

Jenny Mitcham

May 14, 2018, 12:22:41 PM5/14/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Having recently upgraded from 2.2 to 2.4 we have just noticed something weird.

One of the finding aids we are working on that is currently in draft is showing duplicate records at the subfonds level. When I switch the treeview back to sidebar, all looks fine. Best way to explain this is with a couple of screen shots:

Full width treeview:
fullwidth_treeview.PNG

Sidebar treeview:
sidebar_treeview.PNG
​Do you have any ideas as to why this is and how to resolve it? Note we have only noticed this with one of the archives - as far as we know all the others are OK.

Many thanks in advance,
Jen

--
Jenny Mitcham
Digital Archivist

Telephone: 01904 321170

Borthwick Institute website: http://www.york.ac.uk/borthwick/
Digital archiving blog: http://digital-archiving.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @Jenny_Mitcham
Skype: jenny_mitcham

Dan Gillean

May 14, 2018, 12:42:27 PM5/14/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Jen,

That's strange - but it looks like a display issue, not a problem in the database, so I'm guessing that a few standard maintenance tasks should clear it up.

I'd suggest:
If that doesn't work, you might also want to try re-making the CSS for your theme, and the base Dominion theme. Here's the command for doing this in the base Dominion theme:
  • make -C plugins/arDominionPlugin
Repeat this for your custom theme, swapping in the name of the theme plugin for arDominionPlugin

Remember to clear your browser cache as well! The best way to test is to use an Incognito / Private browser window, as the cache will be disabled there, so can be sure you're seeing a new version of the page.

As always, let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Jenny Mitcham

May 15, 2018, 9:32:48 AM5/15/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your advice Dan.

Jim has tried this for me, running the following the commands on our test version of AtoM 2.4:

cd /usr/share/nginx/atom
php symfony propel:build-nested-set
php symfony cc
systemctl restart php7.0-fpm
systemctl restart memcached
make -C plugins/arBorthwickPlugin

There is no change (even once refreshing cache etc)

I've just tried to delete one of the 'duplicate' subfonds in this finding aid in our test system and not unexpectedly, it deleted both of the entries ...which perhaps confirms that this is a display issue rather than a database issue.

Do you have any other ideas?
Many thanks,
Jen

Dan Gillean

May 15, 2018, 10:42:15 AM5/15/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Jen,

I noticed that in the commands you've listed, Jim didn't try remaking the CSS for the base Dominion theme. Since most custom theme plugins extend from the base Dominion theme, you might want to try that? You could also try temporarily flipping to the Dominion theme to determine if this is particular to the custom Borthwick theme or not.

If you've installed from our code repository, you might also want to try doing a git pull --rebase to pull in the latest changes. I don't think anything has changed, but it could be good to make sure you have the latest code. I recommend making sure you have a fresh backup before doing this in a production environment, as a precaution.

You can also double-check that your database version is correct, but looking at the version value in Admin > Settings. The full version includes a release number, followed by a database schema number. In AtoM 2.4, this should be: 2.4.0 - v156. If your installation does not have 156 as the database version, let me know.

What setting is the Treeview sort set to? There is a long-standing known issue with the sort options, unfortunately, and if you have this set to anything other than "Manual," it's possible this could be causing the issue. I've previously described the issue here:
We've investigated it further, and unfortunately it's a difficult bug to fix, which is why it's been around for so long. I've previously outlined options to address it here:
Because option 1 to address the issue would have many negative side effects for users, we are unlikely to want to implement this fix in a public release. Option 2 would be far more ideal, but is also significantly more expensive.

For now, if your setting is not on Manual, I'd recommend flipping it, and using drag and drop to reorder any siblings as needed. You can also try ensuring that all records have both an identifier and a title if using other sort options, but even then, I can't guarantee it will completely resolve the issue.

If none of that helps, let me know and I'll reach out to our team for further ideas.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Jenny Mitcham
Digital Archivist
Borthwick Institute for Archives
University of York
Heslington
York
YO10 5DD

Telephone: 01904 321170

Borthwick Institute website: http://www.york.ac.uk/borthwick/
Digital archiving blog: http://digital-archiving.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @Jenny_Mitcham
Skype: jenny_mitcham

Jenny Mitcham

May 15, 2018, 12:37:31 PM5/15/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Thanks for all of your ideas and suggestions.

Our treeview is on manual sort already.

Our theme is a copy of the base Dominion theme with a few differences, rather than an extension of Dominion. In any case, it doesn't look like it's theme-related, as the data sent back shows the duplicates (see attached).

Our test site is up-to-date with 'origin/stable/2.4.x'.

Yes the database is on version 156.

Do let me know if you have any further thoughts.
Thanks,
Jen

Jenny Mitcham
Digital Archivist
Borthwick Institute for Archives
University of York
Heslington
York
YO10 5DD

Telephone: 01904 321170

Borthwick Institute website: http://www.york.ac.uk/borthwick/
Digital archiving blog: http://digital-archiving.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @Jenny_Mitcham
Skype: jenny_mitcham

2018-05-15 15_56_19-Foundation documents - Borthwick Catalogue.png

Dan Gillean

May 15, 2018, 4:04:11 PM5/15/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Jen,

So, there's no way for you to flip to the base Dominion theme, then? That's too bad. The ArchivesCanada theme extends the base Dominion theme, so if you've modified it AND the issue is theme related, then that might not tell us anything.

However, I have one more theory that our team suggested. I know you've recently upgraded from 2.2, so - it's possible that you are encountering the aftereffects of some data corruption in your system, that was not visible previously.

Specifically, I think it's possible that some of your records might have a duplicated publication status. This was an issue in 2.2. and earlier, when new child records were added via the "Add new child records" widget at the same time that a publication status change was added in the edit page. See:
We've added a SQL query to the Dealing with data corruption section of the our Troubleshooting page in the 2.5 docs, which will allow you to check for duplicated pub statuses. Here's a link to the docs, but I'll also copy the relevant sections below:
You can check for descriptions with a duplicated publication status in your database with the following query:

SELECT
 st.object_id, st.type_id, st.status_id
 FROM status st
     INNER JOIN (SELECT
                     object_id, type_id, COUNT(*) AS count
                     FROM status
                     WHERE type_id=158
                     GROUP BY object_id, type_id
                     HAVING COUNT(*)>1
                 ) dt ON st.object_id=dt.object_id and st.type_id=dt.type_id;

If you do find some, then the following query can then be used to remove one of the duplicated publication statuses from the affected records. In the following example, we will remove the draft status with the publication status ID value of 159 in the last part of the query - to remove duplicated published statuses, change this value to 160:

DELETE st1
  FROM status as st1, status as st2
    WHERE
         st1.object_id = st2.object_id
      AND st1.type_id = st2.type_id
      AND st1.id > st2.id
      AND st1.type_id = 158
      AND st1.status_id = 159;

After you've run this, I suggest that you rebuild the nested set, clear the application cache, restart PHP-FPM and memcached, and then check in a private browser window if this has resolved the issue.

I hope this helps to resolve it!

[...]

Jim Adamson

May 16, 2018, 5:18:30 AM5/16/18
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

I have run the SQL statements in our test environment and indeed that has solved our treeview problem! 178 records were returned by the SELECT statement and as expected the DELETE statement removed 89 of them. I'll talk to Jen about doing the same on live.

For the record I did try flipping to the Dominion theme but it didn't make a difference.

Thanks very much for your help on this :)

Jim