Leonardo José Giménez Rodriguez

Sep 11, 2020, 3:50:04 PM9/11/20
to AtoM Users
Hello, I am going to update my version of atom to 2.6. I want to know what Hardware and Software I need. How version of PHP, Database, everything related to that. Recommended disk space, recommended ram,
recommended server,  etc.

Dan Gillean

Sep 11, 2020, 5:08:26 PM9/11/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

Please see the Technical Requirements page in our 2.6 documentation for more information:
See also the Installation documentation itself:
As specified there, AtoM 2.6 requires:
  • A webserver like Apache or Nginx; Artefactual prefers Nginx and this is what we show how to install and configure in the installation documentation
  • Elasticsearch 5.x (we use ES 5.6 in development). Elasticsearch 6.0 or newer is not supported as they have deprecated a number of APIs still used in AtoM
  • Java 8 (required for Elasticsearch)
  • MySQL 8.0
  • PHP 7.2
  • Gearman job server
There are also a number of PHP extensions required (see for example here), and a few other dependencies for working with digital objects (see here and here)

We do all of our testing, development, and deployment using Ubuntu LTS releases - AtoM is compatible with Ubuntu 18.04 and this is what our installation documentation recommends. We are currently testing 20.04 support and PHP 7.4, but bug fixes to better support compatibility may be needed - these will be included in a future release to ensure full PHP 7.4/Ubuntu 20.04 support. For now, if you are intending to use your installation in production, we strongly recommend PHP 7.2 and Ubuntu 18.04.

Many of our users have also successfully installed in other linux environments, such as CentOS/RHEL, though we do not officially test and support these distributions. However, when users have shared installation guides with these operating systems, we try to make them publicly available on our wiki. See for example:
You can also search our forum using the tags we've added for other operating systems - for example:

As for hardware requirements - it depends! Generally, I would not recommend less than 2GB RAM, even for a small installation - Elasticsearch alone will require this just to be properly installed. As noted in our Technical requirements, we share what we use for our Standard hosting service, to provide a baseline:

For a frame of reference, Artefactual’s standard AtoM test/demo site deployment is a cloud VM with the following specifications:
  • Processor: 2 vCPUs @ 2.3GHz
  • Memory: 7GB
  • Disk space (processing): 50GB at a minimum for AtoM’s core stack plus more storage would be required for supporting any substantial number of digital objects.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 3:50 PM Leonardo José Giménez Rodriguez <leonardo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, I am going to update my version of atom to 2.6. I want to know what Hardware and Software I need. How version of PHP, Database, everything related to that. Recommended disk space, recommended ram,
recommended server,  etc.

tat...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2020, 4:58:18 PM9/14/20
to AtoM Users
Dan,

if you use UBUNTU 16, can you still use mariaDB for AtoM 2.6, as it says here?
https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.6/admin-manual/installation/linux/ubuntu-xenial/#mysql

Thanks,
Tatiana Canelhas

Dan Gillean

Sep 15, 2020, 9:21:26 AM9/15/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Tatiana,

Oh, that's strange, and an accident! If you go from the Homepage, you'll see there is no 16.04 documentation listed for 2.6. It looks like the page was removed from the index, but not properly deleted!

While it may be possible to install AtoM using Ubuntu 16.04, AtoM 2.6 will definitely not work with MySQL 5.7. To help address some performance issues when working with large hierarchies, we have made use of the new Common Table Expressions (CTE) available only in v8.0 and later. These changes will cause issues if older versions of MySQL are used.

Additionally, with 16.04 and earlier versions of PHP (such as 7.0), there will likely be issues with the upgraded password hash algorithm we have used in 2.6. You can try changing the algorithm used from argon2i to PASSWORD_BCRYPT in config/app.yml but in our initial tests, we found issues with user accounts after doing so - this is why we attempted to remove the 16.04 / PHP 7.0 / MySQL 5.7 documentation from the 2.6 branch.

I apologize for the confusion - we'll properly remove that page soon!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Grant Forrest

Dec 14, 2020, 8:29:04 AM12/14/20
to AtoM Users
Can I also add that at this time, AtoM 2.6 is incompatible with MariaDB. The collation  utf8mb4_0900_ai_ci is missing from MariaDB 10.x and no mention of it being added in forthcoming releases.