permissions assigned to others

Matthew Bruton

Aug 6, 2020, 10:35:49 AM8/6/20
to AtoM Users
I am going through the documentation trying to install atom 2.6 and there is something I have a question about.

Here is the text
"If you are deploying AtoM in a shared environment we recommend you to pay attention to the permissions assigned to others. The following is an example on how to clear all mode bits for others:"

I was wondering if someone can explain what this is about exactly? Is it in reference to creating more than one user? I am not sure if I need to do this. what does clearing "all mode bits for others" do?

Karl Goetz

Aug 6, 2020, 8:24:13 PM8/6/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew,

Its a reference to the concept of 'other' in the unix permissions system. Its literally every other user on the server be it a human or system account.

If you've set things up so www-data is the owner and group per the documentation then the only reason to have 'other' bit set is so your user can view the files without sudo - but if you're in a shared environment that may not be available either.

Are you in a shared environment and need help with the setup or is the question informational?

thanks,
Karl.

Aug 7, 2020, 5:08:10 AM8/7/20
to AtoM Users
Thanks Karl,
So it's about users logged into the terminal then?
I was wondering if it might mean users in the atom web interface.
I wanted just to understand what it was about to see if I might need it.

Karl Goetz

Aug 7, 2020, 6:34:13 PM8/7/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew,
Its at the OS level yes, though a system 'built in' user (for example www-data) does not log in through a terminal.

The atom UI has different permissions associated.

thanks,
Karl.

Sent: Friday, 7 August 2020 7:08 PM
To: AtoM Users <ica-ato...@googlegroups.com>