Help needed...

Fernando di Perna

Aug 17, 2022, 11:33:53 AM8/17/22
to AtoM Users
Good morning, please, I need confirmation about the feasibility of installing Atom 2.6 on Ubuntu 16.0.4 and what kind of limitations I may encounter in the installation process.
Thank you very much.

Jim Adamson

Aug 18, 2022, 7:03:22 AM8/18/22
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fernando,

Ubuntu 16.04 went out of support last year, so it's inadvisable using it. I would suggest upgrading it to Ubuntu 18.04 and then installing AtoM 2.6.

Thanks, Jim

On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 at 16:33, Fernando di Perna <fernando...@gmail.com> wrote:
Good morning, please, I need confirmation about the feasibility of installing Atom 2.6 on Ubuntu 16.0.4 and what kind of limitations I may encounter in the installation process.
Thank you very much.

Jim Adamson
Systems Administrator/Developer
Facilities Management Systems
IT Services
LFA/023 | Harry Fairhurst building | University of York | Heslington | York | YO10 5DD

Dan Gillean

Aug 18, 2022, 8:48:22 AM8/18/22
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Fernando,

I strongly agree with Jim's advice - we recommend switching to 18.04 and following the official AtoM installation documentation for 2.6 if at all possible.

If for some reason you have no choice but to use 16.04, I think the biggest issue will be the PHP version. Ubuntu 16.04 includes PHP 7.0 by default, but AtoM 2.6 requires PHP 7.2. This means you will need to manually upgrade the default PHP version to 7.2, and make sure that all the PHP extensions you need to install for AtoM also use the 7.2 version.

Similarly, you'll need to manually install  MySQL 8, as Ubuntu comes bundled with options for MySQL 5.7 or MariaDB 10.0. AtoM definitely requires v8.0 for the 2.6.4 release.

There may be other mismatches between the dependencies you need in AtoM and what is included by default in 16.04, so follow the instructions slowly, check the version on anything you install and compare that with what is included by default in 18.04, and then find a way to manually install the correct dependency version whenever there is a mismatch.

As you can see, things will go much easier if you're able to use 18.04 instead - and you'll be using a more secure, maintained O/S.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Fernando di Perna

Aug 22, 2022, 8:09:43 AM8/22/22
to AtoM Users
Thank you so much for yours answers and time...
Bests regards.
Fernando