Edit Authority Record timeout

Johan Pieterse

Aug 8, 2018, 6:32:10 AM8/8/18
to AtoM Users
The atom/plugins/sfIsaarPlugin/modules/sfIsaarPlugin/templates/_events.php relate.

When clicking the edit button and the system tries to load "Related resources".

In our case some Archival Institutions have thousands of records. The result is a timeout of the system.
Even extending the timeout to 5 minutes does not help.

I limit the following to 5 entries and this works but the result is that not all items will be displayed:
      <?php foreach ($resource->getEvents() as $item): ?>
            <?php echo render_title($item->object) ?>
            <?php echo $item->type ?>
            <?php echo Qubit::renderDateStartEnd($item->date, $item->startDate, $item->endDate) ?>
            <input class="multiDelete" name="deleteEvents[]" type="checkbox" value="<?php echo url_for(array($item, 'module' => 'event')) ?>"/>

        <?php if(++$i > 5) break; //To many results kill the system. JJP SITA 08/08/2018 ?>
      <?php endforeach; ?>
    </tbody>

Dan Gillean

Aug 8, 2018, 11:41:07 AM8/8/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Johan,

Are you linking the repository record at all levels of description?

AtoM is designed to inherit both the creator name and the repository name from higher levels when it is the same. The reason for this is twofold: first, it better aligns with the ICA's general principles of description (namely, add information at the highest relevant level, and do not repeat information unnecessarily at lower levels), and second, for better performance and scalability. This also keeps the holdings list on the repository view page, and the related descriptions list on the authority record view page, much more usable for researchers. No need for a thousand links pointing to the same collection!

We do have a command-line task coming in the 2.5 release that will go through a given archival hierarchy and unlink unnecessary creators at lower levels, where the result would be the same through inheritance. See:
We've also previously shared the work from this task as a script that you could download and run on your current installation, in this thread:
Remember, if you decide to try the script, BACK UP YOUR DATA first and proceed at your own risk! I would also recommend reading the discussion, feedback, and suggestions on the rest of the thread.

I would love to see us also be able to develop a similar tool for repository links, but this will require community sponsorship or community-contributed development for us to be able to add. In the meantime, if you have linked at all levels, you may need to do some manual cleanup, or develop your own script. f your institution would like an estimate to sponsor such a task, feel free to contact me off-list.

Otherwise: have you added many different user and group permissions? This too can affect the load times of authority records significantly. Please check out the rest of the information I included in the linked thread above. If you can simplify your permissions, this can also have beneficial effects. One of the things that has helped some multi-repository users the most in previous similar situations is to allow all logged in user groups to view draft records.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager