cli command to list user e-mail addresses

Benjamin Keith

Apr 14, 2017, 2:19:02 AM4/14/17
to AtoM Users
I've been trying to authenticate, create, edit, and so on an administrative account so I can log on to my working atom localhost.  I've spent more than six hours in two days reading and trying everything posted and have come to the conclusion I need to know what the user e-mail address is so I can stop this madness.  None of the AtoM guides show anything pre-authenticated related to logging on.  I took copious notes of the user name and passwords but I never entered an e-mail address and other than broken references in the documentation about "@example.com" there is nothing useful.  In case it is relevant this is not part of a domain yet; I have no plans to add it to one.  If that is a requirement it wasn't well documented.

Questions:
1. is there a file using root@"mymachinename":~# sudo nano ... I can open to look at the users?
2. Since I followed the installation instructions exactly here: https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.3/admin-manual/installation/linux/ubuntu-xenial/; WHAT is the e-mail address that got setup for administration of AtoM through the web page?
3. How on earth does removing the db and adding one back again resolve the web portal administration issue?

I am close to deleting my vhd and starting from scratch but I figure that will be fruitless since my issue all stems from having no idea what this system setup for the administrator account.  I have unsuccessfully tried all the different posts about adding a superuser; please don't cut and paste something that comes up in a google search!

Respectfully,
Benjamin

Dan Gillean

Apr 14, 2017, 3:12:35 PM4/14/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

First, I'm sorry to hear that you have been having issues; you sound frustrated. As outlined in the documentation in this section, the username, email, and password for the administrator account you set up via the web installer during installation are not pre-determined, they are user-defined. That means I can't tell you what email you used during set up.

Of course, if you could log in, then you can see all the user email addresses in Admin > Users... and with an administrator account, you can edit any of them as needed. So I'm curious why the add superuser CLI task won't help resolve this issue for you?

In any case, there is not currently a command-line task that will spit a list of all user emails, nor is there a single separate file that you can nano to examine all user credentials - to get that, you will likely need to run a SQL query. Looking at the Entity Relationship Diagram we have here on our wiki, it seems like all the information you need will be contained in the user table. I am very much not a developer, but through a bit of trial and error I managed to find a simple query that should return you a list of user names and email addresses:
  • select user.username, user.email from user;
To access the database, you will of course need to know the database name, user, and password. If you no longer recall those, you should be able to find them in one of AtoM's configuration files:
Once you know these details, you can enter into the MySQL command-line interface by using them like so:
  • mysql -u <username> -p<SUPERSECRETPASSWORD> <databasename>
Now you should be able to run the query I suggested above and see a 2-column table of usernames and email addresses returned. Enter exit when you want to leave the MySQL terminal.

If you are interested in exploring AtoM's database further but SQL queries are not something you feel confident to craft yourself, you could try installing something with a graphical front-end to assist you, such as phpMyAdmin or MySQL Workbench - we've used both in the past. Looking at the ERD, it seems like all the information you need will be contained in the user table - so unfortunately, there is not a separate file that you can nano to examine where this information is stored.

I hope this helps!

PS - we welcome documentation pull requests and suggestions, so if you feel like there are ways we can improve or clarify the installation documentation, send us a PR or leave us some concrete suggestions in this thread and I will be happy to review them and add what I can when I'm able. We also have some basic instructions on how to submit a PR via the GitHub user interface, here:

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Benjamin Keith

Apr 14, 2017, 4:24:49 PM4/14/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

This has been very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to provide an excellent response.

It is my issue.  During the many times I've "configured" AtoM it has never apparently finished.  I've never been prompted to enter an e-mail address or password.  I shall try again but do not expect a different outcome.  Should I re-install AtoM and/or any other dependency?

It just wasn't clear to me that I wasn't getting through the configuration.  Even with the following text in the instructions when I wasn't prompt and everything started "working" I was ignorant to the issue I had encountered.

The rest of the fields can be filled as you need:

  • Site title
  • Site description
  • Site base URL
  • Username
  • E-mail address
  • Password
Now I see what to expect during the config.

Thank you,

Benjamin

Dan Gillean

Apr 14, 2017, 4:46:58 PM4/14/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Benjamin,

If you have followed all the steps as listed, are using the recommended installation instructions, and have ensured that the required dependencies have installed correctly, then I am not sure why the web installer would fail to load for you. You could always try returning to it manually - so if you are installing in localhost, try entering the following URL:

That should bring up the initial configuration page and allow you to complete the process. Hopefully it's that easy - if not, then something might be amiss in the installation process.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Benjamin Keith

Apr 18, 2017, 10:37:54 PM4/18/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

Thank you very much.  The link you sent permitted me to finish the installation.  I am very excited and pleased.

Benjamin Keith

Dan Gillean

Apr 19, 2017, 10:03:48 AM4/19/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Glad to hear it - thanks for letting us know, Benjamin!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056