ANNOUNCEMENT: New AtoM Coding Standard for Release 2.7.0 onward

David at Artefactual

Mar 30, 2021, 3:02:18 PM3/30/21
to AtoM Users
Hi everyone!

We are pleased to announce that we are adopting the PHP CS Fixer project's coding standard for AtoM Release 2.7.0 onward.  Effective immediately all code submissions to the AtoM qa/2.x branch need to conform to the new coding standard.  The good news is that the PHP CS Fixer can automatically format your code to the coding standard via plugins for many popular code editors (Atom, NetBeans, PhpStorm, Sublime Text, Vim, VS Code) or the command line tool.

Who is affected by the change?

Any developer submitting code to the AtoM project will now need to format their code to conform with the new coding standard.

Why is the AtoM Coding Standard being changed?

The old AtoM coding standard was based on the Symfony 1.4 coding standards with a number of customizations specific to the AtoM project.  Because the old coding standard was unique to the AtoM project, it had several problems:

  • Automatic formatting (linting) of AtoM code and automatically checking code for conformance was not practical, due to the effort required to define a custom formatting rule set,

  • Not being able to automate style checking lead to poor coding standard compliance, which made the AtoM code harder to read and understand,

  • PHP developers coming to AtoM project had to learn a new and idiosyncratic coding style,

  • The old coding standard documentation was incomplete.

Why the PHP CS Fixer Coding Standard?

The PhpCsFixer Ruleset is a highly opinionated code style rule set maintained by the FriendsOfPHP group.  We chose PhpCsFixer because:

  • It conforms to, and extends, popular and widely used PHP coding standards PSR-1, PSR-12, and the Symfony Coding Standard,

  • Being highly opinionated minimizes the variation in coding style within the project and  style consistency makes it easier for developers to read and understand the code,

  • The PHP CS Fixer project is mature, active, and popular minimizing the risk of obsolescence.

How can I ensure my code conforms to the new AtoM Coding Standard?

Please see our AtoM Coding Standard Wiki documentation for more information about the Coding Standard and instructions on how to format your code to the new standard.  If you have any questions not answered here or in the Wiki documentation, please post your question to this forum and we'll do our best to answer it.

--

David Juhasz (he/him)
Senior Developer

Ricardo Pinho

Apr 6, 2021, 4:05:05 AM4/6/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic news!
Congratulations to all involved and keep up the good work!
Best regards,
--
Ricardo Pinho