Cecilia Castro

Jul 4, 2017, 11:23:16 AM7/4/17
to AtoM Users
Hello everyone,

We are trying to integrate all of our library's resources into a single interface using OAI-PMH, so that the users can search in Koha, Atom and Dspace at the same time. But we've read that atom's virtual set only exposes top-level descriptions. Has any one worked out a way to make atom let harvest child-level descriptions too?

Cecilia

Jenny Mitcham

Jul 4, 2017, 11:30:09 AM7/4/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You may be interested in some work that is being funded by a group of institutions in the UK for AtoM 2.4. We are enabling the harvesting of EAD at all levels via OAI-PMH. You can read all about it in the following blog post: http://digital-archiving.blogspot.com/2017/02/harvesting-ead-from-atom-collaborative.html

Hope that helps!
Jen

Jenny Mitcham
Digital Archivist
Borthwick Institute for Archives
University of York
Heslington
York
YO10 5DD

Telephone: 01904 321170

Borthwick Institute website: http://www.york.ac.uk/borthwick/
Digital archiving blog: http://digital-archiving.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @Jenny_Mitcham
Skype: jenny_mitcham

Dan Gillean

Jul 5, 2017, 10:59:31 AM7/5/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Cecilia,

If you don't use a virtual set, then by default, AtoM's OAI Repository module will expose all levels of description for harvesting. See:

That said, in 2.3 and earlier the records are exposed as simple Dublin Core, and it's not easy to reconstruct the relationships between upper and lower levels. For that reason, the work we are doing with Jen and other partners for the 2.4 release, which Jen has mentioned above, will likely be a better bet for you, as EAD XML contains all levels of description in a hierarchy in a single response.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.