Mohamed vall

Sep 21, 2023, 9:42:43 AM9/21/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone , I installed Atom successfully now how can a user try it from the internet from his computer like every site web !

--
IT

Dan Gillean

Sep 21, 2023, 2:09:25 PM9/21/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohamed,

There are a lot of additional steps not covered in our documentation on how to take a locally deployed site and make it available on the public web. We do not cover this because the knowledge is not AtoM-specific, and we generally expect the people installing and maintaining AtoM installations to be developers or system administrators with previous experience in deploying websites.

You can look up general guides online (like this one for example), but most people will at minimum buy a domain name from a Registrar (so instead of having to go to a specific IP and port, users can get a website address like www.myarchives.com). The registrar will create a DNS record that will direct web traffic from your purchased domain name (e.g. myarchives.com) to the specific IP address and port needed to access your site. Nginx then handles requests  and responses as normal. All of these steps are general as I mentioned and not AtoM-specific, so you can learn more by searching online, but there is not much more guidance we can offer via this free user forum.

The important part is that if you have installed AtoM on a personal computer like a laptop, then it WILL NOT BE SUITABLE FOR SUSTAINED USE AS A PUBLIC SITE. AtoM is intended to be installed on a web-ready server, and our Technical requirements documentation suggests the minimum recommended specs of such a machine:
  • Processor: 2 vCPUs @ 2.3GHz
  • Memory: 7GB
  • Disk space (processing): 50GB at a minimum for AtoM’s core stack plus more storage would be required for supporting any substantial number of digital objects.

If your machine does not meet these requirements and you want public users to be able to consistently discover and use your AtoM site on the web, then you may want to use a Hosting Provider instead and install AtoM on their infrastructure. For example, Artefactual has used both OVH and Digital Ocean for the servers underlying our hosting services.

I hope this points you in the right direction - good luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Mohamed vall

Sep 22, 2023, 10:34:44 AM9/22/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Thanks a lot
So if want to use Ocean what can I do to do it ?
There is a documentation on the steps ?

--
IT

محمود محمد

Sep 22, 2023, 11:41:27 AM9/22/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Mr. Dan, a continuation of the previous question

Inquire about the steps to upload the Atom system on the Digital Ocean platform to the cloud to operate it remotely. What are the steps and instructions necessary for that?

‫في الجمعة، 22 سبتمبر 2023 في 6:34 م تمت كتابة ما يلي بواسطة ‪Mohamed vall‬‏ <‪haba...@gmail.com‬‏>:‬

Dan Gillean

Sep 22, 2023, 12:23:53 PM9/22/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohamed,

This is not my area of expertise, and as I mentioned, we are limited in the support we can offer via the user forum on these topics. However, none of this information is specific to AtoM, so you can search online for more guides and resources to help you. I will try to provide a few thoughts below.

How you go about this will depend on the service provider. In many cases, they will provide you with a virtual server, and you will need to reinstall AtoM on their infrastructure. So: you would review their offerings, select a hosting plan that includes an Ubuntu VM with command-line access, and then follow their access documentation. Once you have access, you would install AtoM there. In other cases they may have tools to help migrate local content, or their services may include assistance with installation and configuration - it depends on what you choose and pay for.

The hosting provider may or may not also have domain name services - it depends on the vendor and the service, but if not, then you would separately contact a Domain Registrar, choose a domain name that is available, pay for it, and provide them with the public IP address and port of your AtoM install on the hosted platform. They will configure the DNS record and it will start working within 1-2 days, usually.

Alternatively, you can find service providers who handle AtoM installation and configuration as part of the offering. See for example Artefactual's AtoM hosting plans, and contact in...@artefactual.com if you would like more information.

Otherwise, you can try contacting a general web hosting provider like Digital Ocean directly to ask more questions about their service offerings. Good luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056