Add "culture" to EAD XML for import

r.ruti...@docuteam.ch

May 3, 2022, 5:39:51 AM5/3/22
to AtoM Users
Hi,

When importing with CSV, there is the "culture" column that will tell AtoM which culture to use.
How would I do this in EAD XML?

When exporting EAD XML, i noticed this portion in the  <eadheader> section:

<langusage>
<language langcode="ger">Deutsch</language>
</langusage>

So maybe I'd have to add this to the EAD that's being imported?

Because the problem that I have is:
If default language in AtoM is french, but the levelsOfDescriptions are in german, it will automatically add these levels in AtoM, but in the french culture, instead of using the existing german levels, which are available only in the german culture.

Cheers, Roger

Dan Gillean

May 3, 2022, 9:26:03 AM5/3/22
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Roger,

I found a related thread in the forum that suggests to me that yes, this is worth experimenting with, though the results may sometimes vary. See:
The best way to find out will be to perform some test imports and report back! If you are importing via the User Interface, I would also recommend that you ensure that the UI language is set to the target import language (e.g. German in your example) before attempting an import.

Keep in mind that this still may mean that new taxonomy terms will be created (i.e. duplicates in different languages) if you don't first add French translations to your existing German terms in AtoM! AtoM will have no way of automatically knowing that an LoD term in French is a translation of an existing German one... so I would suggest ensuring that there are French translations for the levels of description before trying the suggested EAD modification. That way, the import should hopefully match and use the existing terms.

Let us know how it goes!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

r.ruti...@docuteam.ch

May 4, 2022, 5:19:24 AM5/4/22
to AtoM Users
Thanks a lot Dan, I will get back to you after I did some testing.

r.ruti...@docuteam.ch

May 8, 2022, 7:33:07 AM5/8/22
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

It worked, by using for example
      <profiledesc>
         <langusage>
            <language langcode="ita">italiano</language>
         </langusage>
      </profiledesc>
   </EAD:eadheader>

I only use the import via GUI, so I did not test the CLI import.

I have the following setup:
default language: de german
I created all the levels of description in the GUI when switched to german. For every level, I changed the language and added the translation
So for example "Dossier" (de), "Fonds" (en) and "cartella" (it)
The slug of Dossier is always ...index.php/dossier no matter which language ist chosen.

Now, when importing EAD with the langusage set, it will use that particular dossier, showing "cartella" in italian, and will not create a new "cartella" with the slug ...index.php/cartella
which is what I wanted.

Cheers, Roger

Dan Gillean

May 9, 2022, 8:07:41 AM5/9/22
to ICA-AtoM Users
Great! Thanks for the update, Roger! Glad to hear it worked.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.