EAD Import did/unitid[@type='standard']

Roger Rutishauser

Jun 12, 2020, 7:29:12 AM6/12/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi there

Just a quick note... I just found out that

XPath: "did/unitid[@type='standard']"

will be ignored when imported to AtoM.

Example (snippet)
    <did>

<unitid type="standard">123456</unitid>

</did>

Cheers, Roger

Dan Gillean

Jun 19, 2020, 11:48:51 AM6/19/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Roger,

Are you sure it was ignored? Are you using the RAD template in AtoM? The Standard Number field is only used in the RAD template - the Canadian RAD standard was originally derived from the AACR2 library cataloguing standard, and therefore has a number of elements not found in most archival standards, including this one, which is described as follows in the RAD standard:

1.9B. Standard number

1.9B1. Give the International Standard Book Number (ISBN), International Standard Serial Number (ISSN), or any other internationally agreed standard number for the item being described. Give such numbers with the agreed abbreviation and with the standard spacing or hyphenation.

ISBN 0-919223-5
ISBN 0-921542-02-X

If you are not using the RAD template, then you can try adding ;rad to the end of the URL to preview your description in the RAD template without having to actually switch anything via the settings. Let me know if the standard number you attempted to import showed up in the requisite field there.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 7:29 AM Roger Rutishauser <r.ruti...@docuteam.ch> wrote:
Hi there

Just a quick note... I just found out that

XPath: "did/unitid[@type='standard']"

will be ignored when imported to AtoM.

Example (snippet)

  <EAD:archdesc level="otherlevel" otherlevel="Dossier">
    <EAD:did>
      <EAD:unitid type="standard">123456</EAD:unitid>

Cheers, Roger

r.ruti...@docuteam.ch

Jul 7, 2020, 7:58:13 AM7/7/20
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Thank you. I was not aware of the fact that some fields are used in dependency of either RAD or Standard Template.
So, no, I am not using the RAD template.
Is there a way to find out which fields described in https://github.com/artefactual/atom/blob/stable/2.5.x/apps/qubit/modules/object/config/import/ead.yml are not used in the Standard Template?

Cheers, Roger

Dan Gillean

Jul 7, 2020, 12:20:13 PM7/7/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Roger,

It probably needs some review and updating for the most recent releases, but we've tried to add information for each field in the templates, including their EAD XML mappings, in the Data Entry section of the documentation. Here's the link for the ISAD page, for example:
One thing I like to do when reviewing this:
  • Import the CSV template example. I've tried to add the name and number of each standards-related field in the most recent ISAD templates.
  • Review the import, and supplement any missing fields
  • Export as EAD 2002 XML. Now your export can act as a crosswalk, as each EAD element should have the related ISAD or AtoM field name in the data it encloses.
Once 2.6 is released, I'll try to review and update the data entry pages to account for any changes, when I can find some time!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.