The issue of upload CSV template

PANG

Jan 19, 2022, 3:53:11 AM1/19/22
to AtoM Users
Hi,

I have faced to some difficulty when I try to upload the CSV template in the AtoM. I would like to ask may I separate the complete fond file to different series CSV to upload? For example, I create the fond file in the AtoM and 4 series under the fond level, so I want to separate to 4 series CSV file and upload them one by one. However, I have upload these 4 files but they became an individual file. What should I do?  Is it possible to do it?

Thanks,
Reagan

Dan Gillean

Jan 19, 2022, 8:50:38 AM1/19/22
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Reagan,

The short answer is yes, it's possible by using the qubitParentSlug column in the CSV. I will explain how hierarchies are managed in AtoM CSV imports below.

AtoM has 2 different ways of managing hierarchical relationships in a CSV file.

When you want to import new records that have a hierarchical relationship (for example, the fonds and the 4 series, all together in one CSV file), then you can use the legacyId and parentId columns to indicate hierarchical relationships, like so:
  1. First, give every row a unique value in the legacyId column. These can just be numbers (e.g. 0001, 0002, etc) or alphanumeric strings (e.g. A01, A02, etc) but each value should be unique in the CSV
  2. Ensure that any parent row (such as the fonds) appears in a row ABOVE the descendant records. For example, make sure that the fonds is in the first metadata row of your CSV, and the series appears in lower rows.
  3. To tell AtoM that the series should be uploaded as children of the fonds, you then add the legacyId value of the fonds record to the parentId column of the series. This tells AtoM that these records should be nested under the fonds as children
  4. Add other metadata as required, and import the CSV
An example from the documentation (here):

We want Example Series (row 2) to import as a child to Example Fonds (row 1), so we add the legacyId of the Example Fonds (1 in this example) to the parentId column of the Example Series. In this example, the Example Item will also import as a child of the Example Series.

The second way fits your question: when the parent record already exists in AtoM, and now you want to upload a new CSV with records that should be added as children to the existing record (e.g. the fonds). In this case, you want to use the qubitParentSlug column.

A slug in AtoM is the unique part of the URL. For example, if your AtoM site is https://www.example.com, and your fonds is at https://www.example.com/my-fonds, then my-fonds would be the slug. Slugs are unique in AtoM, so they can be used to indicate an existing parent record in a CSV when the qubitParentSlug column is used. To do this:
  1. First, as before, give every row a unique value in the legacyId column. These can just be numbers (e.g. 0001, 0002, etc) or alphanumeric strings (e.g. A01, A02, etc) but each value should be unique in the CSV
  2. In the qubitParentSlug column, add the slug of the fonds. Do this for every row in the CSV that should be directly attached as a child to the fonds (i.e. for all series)
  3. Add other metadata as required, and import the CSV
An example from the documentation (here):

In this example, we already have a Fonds with one Series in AtoM, and we want to add a new series, and two file-level descriptions. Example series two will be attached as a child to the Example Fonds (because we have added the example-fonds slug to the qubitParentSlug column), and the two new files will be attached to the existing Series one (example-series-one).

All of this is described in the documentation, and in the following slide deck:
Finally, it is possible to mix the use of the parentId and qubitParentSlug columns in a single CSV, but not in a single row. For example, if you want to create 4 separate CSV files (1 for each series) because each series also has 100 item records to import, then you can:
  1. Add the series record as the first metadata row in your CSV, and give it a unique legacyId
  2. Add the fonds slug to the qubitParentSlug column of the series row
  3. Add your item-level descriptions in the rows below the CSV, and give them all unique legacyId values
  4. In the parentId column of the items, add the legacyId value of the series
  5. Add other metadata as needed and import
In this case, the series will attach to the existing fonds in AtoM with the matching slug, and the items will be imported as children to the new series.

Hope this helps!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.