How do I install Atom?

Elaine Hruby

Nov 28, 2018, 10:37:51 PM11/28/18
to AtoM Users
I have downloaded vagrant and Oracle...I am not a programer...do I need to be able to write code to install and run Atom?
This installation has me beat...I can find everything except concise information on installing atom....please help.  El

Dan Gillean

Nov 29, 2018, 10:23:22 AM11/29/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elaine,

Are you wanting to install AtoM for use as a public-facing production system for your institution? Or are you looking to install AtoM on a personal computer (like a laptop) for testing?

AtoM is intended to be installed on a server when used in production. You can read more about the system requirements here:
We keep the installation documentation here, which involves using Ubuntu as the base operating system:
If you just want to set up a local test environment on your laptop or personal computer, we maintain a Vagrant box that can be set up on any type of operating system. You'll find instructions here:

Finally, if you are just looking to play around with AtoM a bit, we do have a public demo site you can explore:
The data in the site will reset every hour, so feel free to make changes as you wish. Note that for security purposes, all uploads are disabled in the test site.

Let us know if you run into issues and hopefully we can walk you through them!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 10:37 PM Elaine Hruby <hru...@shaw.ca> wrote:
I have downloaded vagrant and Oracle...I am not a programer...do I need to be able to write code to install and run Atom?
This installation has me beat...I can find everything except concise information on installing atom....please help.  El

Elaine Hruby

Nov 29, 2018, 1:09:28 PM11/29/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Thank you so much for replying Dan.

I have downloaded vagrant/Oracle box, I got as far as seeing a black screen with a keyboard locked notice.

Is Atom a virtual machine?  How do I create it in Oracle?  Do I use the file that I created in my word folder: atom-2.4.1.tar.gz?  What do I do with the black screen?

 I have played around with the AToM demo, but I want to research it further on my desktop.  I have worked in small rural museums for years and am just finishing my studies in Cultural Resource Management with an introduction to archives.  As a museum contractor, I want to be able to introduce AToM to clients, but I have to know a bit more about it before I can suggest that they install it.

I don’t know anything about computer programing, so I assume that in an archives setting, AToM will need to be set up by someone who knows their way around computers.  I want to set up Atom on my laptop to see how user-friendly it is and how much maintenance it takes.  I have also heard that templates can be downloaded, filled out and uploaded to the user organization’s website.

I know that the goal of Archives Canada was to create a RAD standard-open source platform that could be accessed by archives of all sizes.  AToM could benefit small rural archives but it has to be user-friendly, for the most part, seniors with little computer knowledge, manage these organizations.

If Atom is complicated to download and run, it will miss a large target demographic of the small rural archive.  On the other hand, if Atom were easy to install it could create a revolution in the ability of small archives to share their holdings.

Thank again for your help.  Elaine

Nov 29, 2018, 3:22:56 PM11/29/18
to ica-atom-users

Dan, thank you for giving me answers in layman’s terms, I will explore the links you provided and let you know how it works out.  I am intrigued by Atom and would love to spread the word about it to other small archives.

Nov 30, 2018, 10:37:38 AM11/30/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elaine,

Can you tell us more? How is it failing? Is it just doing nothing? Is it giving you an error message? What type of operating system is your host computer (i.e. your laptop or personal computer) - Windows, Mac, or some flavor of Linux?

By now in the process you should have:
  • Installed VirtualBox (most recent version is 5.2.22)
  • Installed Vagrant (most recent version is 2.2.2)
  • Created a new folder on your desktop (called vagrant or vagrant-2.4 or vagrant-atom or something; the name doesn't really matter)
  • Used the command-prompt to change into that directory and THEN run the init command
If you are on a Windows computer, you can double-check that you have Virtualbox and Vagrant installed by going to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features. You should see a list of all programs installed there, and the versions. Make sure that Vagrant and Virtualbox are on the list.

When you use the command-prompt on your host computer, if it is windows, make sure you use Command Prompt, and not the Windows PowerShell.

If it IS Windows, there can be some other steps needed to get everything working - Microsoft intentionally makes it somewhat harder to configure third-party virtualization applications - but they usually don't affect things until later in the process. If you can give me more information about what you've already done, what type of operating system you're using on your local computer, and what happens when you try to run the init command, I will do my best to walk you through it!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS

Dan Gillean

Nov 30, 2018, 10:42:29 AM11/30/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

In reading your message again, I noted that you said, "...and put hashicorp, atom, and oracle into it." One clarification on this:

Nothing needs to be in this folder when you run the init command. Instead, you need to first finish installing VirtualBox and Vagrant.

When you click the download links on the Vagrant and Virtualbox websites, they will download an installer. You will need to doubleclick these and follow the prompts to install the programs on your computer. As I mentioned in my last message, once they are installed, you should be able to see them listed in your Programs list - if you don't see them there, then you haven't installed them yet.

Once they are installed, you don't need to keep the original installer file you downloaded - it can be put in your trash.

The same is true of AtoM - that tarball you downloaded from our website can be deleted; you don't need it for setting up the Vagrant box. That tar.gz file is only for server installations. Instead, when you run the init command, Vagrant will fetch the AtoM Vagrant box from the Vagrant Cloud where we have a copied stored, and handle the initial set-up for you.

Let me know if that helps!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

hrubyel

Nov 30, 2018, 11:00:47 AM11/30/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan...pictures are worth a thousand words....this is what I have.

Sent from my Bell Samsung device over Canada's largest network.
20181130_085718_resized.jpg
20181130_085649_resized.jpg
20181130_085615_resized.jpg
20181130_085559.jpg

Dan Gillean

Nov 30, 2018, 11:52:00 AM11/30/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elaine,

Please check my previous instructions.

There shouldn't be anything in the atom folder you've created on your desktop when you first run the init command. You don't need to install Vagrant and VirtualBox to the atom folder you've created - instead, you should just allow the installer to choose the default location. On my computer, the HashiCorp folder ends up right in my C:\ directory, and the Oracle installation directory ends up in C:\ > Program Files. Ultimately, the final location shouldn't matter, so long as they are properly installed on your computer. That way, when you run the vagrant init command, Windows knows that commands that start with "vagrant" are Vagrant commands, and Vagrant can handle them and fetch the AtoM Vagrant box for you. You may want to uninstall, delete everything, and reinstall from scratch if things aren't working properly.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Elaine Hruby

Nov 30, 2018, 11:46:00 PM11/30/18
to ica-atom-users

Hi Dan, virtual box or atom initializes….then the screen goes black and I get this error message: Fatal: No bootable medium found! System halted.

I have been to this point before, not sure what is up.  I un-installed and reinstalled everything, but this time I went with 32 bit instead of 64.

El.