Remove digital objects from treeView

ism...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2021, 7:49:08 AM4/13/21
to AtoM Users
Good morning, most of the descriptions on my AtoM platform contain a very high number of digital objects, which appear in the treeView menu as child descriptions. As there are so many, navigating through this menu is very cumbersome and I would like to remove them from the menu and have them accessed through the browse component of informationobject. Would it be possible to do it? and if so, how?

I attach a photo of one of the funds. Thanks and best regards

fondo.jpg

Dan Gillean

Apr 14, 2021, 9:13:00 AM4/14/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Isabel,

At this time, it would require custom local development to be able to filter certain levels of description from the treeview.

I have seen this done once before with custom code - take a look at this example from the World Bank Group Archives site:
It appears that there is just one series with no descendants in this archival unit. However, if you read the series description, you can see that an inventory list is available (there's also a button link in the right context menu). Clicking that will take you to a list of files that don't display in the treeview.

WBGA has some custom code that filters items and files from appearing in their treeview. The tradeoff is that some users may not realize that further details (or titles at least) are available outlining the contents of the current level.

One thing you can do without development in 2.6, if you're using the full-width treeview instead of the sidebar option, is to set the treeview to display collapsed and hidden by default when users first arrive on the page. The Bernard Becker Medical Library Archives at Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL) sponsored this enhancement, and you can see it in use in their catalog, as in this example:
This wouldn't remove the items associated with your digital objects from the treeview, but it could still be helpful in simplifying the user experience when landing on a page. For more information on this setting, see:
Note that the digital object carousel would still appear, showing thumbnails of lower-level digital objects. However, this is a configurable page element, and it can be hidden / disabled via the settings as well, if desired. See:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 7:49 AM ism...@gmail.com <ism...@gmail.com> wrote:
Good morning, most of the descriptions on my AtoM platform contain a very high number of digital objects, which appear in the treeView menu as child descriptions. As there are so many, navigating through this menu is very cumbersome and I would like to remove them from the menu and have them accessed through the browse component of informationobject. Would it be possible to do it? and if so, how?

I attach a photo of one of the funds. Thanks and best regards

Portales Municipales

Apr 16, 2021, 3:36:52 AM4/16/21
to AtoM Users
Good morning Dan, I have seen the solutions you propose. The use of the full treeView could be useful because it is clearer than the lateral treeView, although there are also many digital objects to show and it is endless.

The development option could be worth. Do you know if the WBGA has the shared code somewhere? Or if not, could you guide me on how to do it. Thanks and best regards.

Dan Gillean

Apr 19, 2021, 12:38:49 PM4/19/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

The WBGA code is not available, unfortunately. In 2.6 and earlier, you can look at the SQL query being performed here:
I would suggest adding an additional WHERE clause (e.g. using AND) that filters by the level of description ID. Our documentation shows you an example of how you can find the IDs associated with terms in a taxonomy here:
HOWEVER, this is important: this solution will NOT work in AtoM 2.7 and later! We are moving from using SQL to using the Elasticsearch index to fetch the nodes in the treeview, as it is more performant. As such, the filter is different, and will need a different solution. You can find the related code here:
I think you would want to add a new filter query based on level of description, similar to how lines 149-153 are filtering by publication status.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager