qtSwordPluginWorker: Data too long for column 'value' at row 1

Celso Agra

Feb 7, 2017, 4:42:53 PM2/7/17
to AtoM Users
Hi,

I'm trying to use the integration between archivematica and AtoM. So, when I try to add a big multiple files (almost 150MB each one) in an hierarchy structure of folders, so I got an error:

2017-02-07 10:58:18 > Job 1024 "qtSwordPluginWorker": Location: file:///<filename>-8fe8af19-1bdd-4ab6-a6f9-d4b49c9098b7
2017-02-07 10:58:18 > Job 1024 "qtSwordPluginWorker": Processing...
2017-02-07 10:58:18 > Job 1024 "qtSwordPluginWorker": Object slug: <name-object>
2017-02-07 10:58:26 > Job 1024 "qtSwordPluginWorker": Exception: Unable to execute INSERT statement. [wrapped: SQLSTATE[22001]: String data, right truncated: 1406 Data too long for column 'value' at row 1]
2017-02-07 10:58:26 > Job failed: Unable to execute INSERT statement. [wrapped: SQLSTATE[22001]: String data, right truncated: 1406 Data too long for column 'value' at row 1]

Does anyone have the same issue?

I don't know why this is happening, but I believe it could be the long filename, or maybe, because it is being used in the hierarchy structure of folders (almost 3 or 4 folders, until get to the file). So this is going to be a long path, if the AtoM is getting the absolute path.

Please, need help! :)

Best regards,

Celso Agra

Jesús García Crespo

Feb 8, 2017, 11:16:28 AM2/8/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Celso,

I think you're running into a known incompatibility issue between AtoM and recent versions of MySQL with the new strict mode enabled by default. This discussion thread may help you to solve the problem: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ica-atom-users/8UyHZDt1Ac8/C2FbBE8DDAAJ. You can find some more information here: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/9051.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Thank you,

Jesús García Crespo,
Software Engineer, Artefactual Systems Inc.
http://www.artefactual.com | +1.604.527.2056

Celso Agra

Feb 8, 2017, 3:30:34 PM2/8/17
to AtoM Users
Hi Jésus,

We just remove the restriction of STRICT_TRANS_TABLES, and finally it works! \o/
I'd like to understand more about this configuration. What is the impact of set this config or just remove it?

Thanks a lot!!

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Celso Agra <celso...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Jesús García Crespo

Feb 8, 2017, 3:40:55 PM2/8/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to understand more about this configuration. What is the impact of set this config or just remove it?

My suspect is that our ORM is making a query that is considered illegal in MySQL. With the strict mode enabled, that is causing an unrecoverable exception. The previous behavior was to silently ignore the query. I believe that we should find the code path causing that query and fix it. We've been wanting to do that for a while but we don't have the resources right now.

It's safe to run AtoM but it would be definitely nicer if we were not generating buggy INSERT queries even if they're harmless, i.e. the only report so far is just a query that attempts to put a value in a column that is longer than what is permitted by the schema.

Celso Agra

Feb 9, 2017, 10:29:43 AM2/9/17
to AtoM Users
Got it!

Thanks again Jésus!

What happens if we change the database to consider a long text instead of a limited varchar or something like this? It will be a workaround?

Jesús García Crespo

Feb 9, 2017, 11:16:24 AM2/9/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 7:29 AM, Celso Agra <celso...@gmail.com> wrote:
What happens if we change the database to consider a long text instead of a limited varchar or something like this? It will be a workaround?

That would probably allow AtoM to insert that value successfully. I'd be curious to know what is the actual value that AtoM is trying to introduce. I would encourage you to give it a shot as long as you're not in production. It would also help us to troubleshoot the issue which would be of great help!

In the long term, the change you're suggesting would probably not make your life easier. I can't think of ways that it would break AtoM but it's hard to tell. Particularly, it could cause some issues in the migration system.

I hope that makes sense. Thank you.