AToM generates thousands of jobs after editing an archival description or authority record

46 views
Skip to first unread message

Mayra Dominguez

unread,
Sep 16, 2026, 11:30:18 AMSep 16
to AtoM Users
AToM generates thousands of jobs after editing an archival description or authority record

I am experiencing a serious issue with AToM 2.10 where editing or modifying a record causes thousands of jobs to be generated, and the number of jobs continues to increase until I stop the job worker.

The problem occurs when I make a modification to an information object (fonds, series, subseries, etc.) or to an authority record/access point. Even a minor change, such as modifying a title or another field and clicking Save, can trigger a large number of arUpdateEsIoDocumentsJob jobs.

For example, after editing an information object, I initially see a relatively small number of jobs, but the queue then continues to grow even though I am no longer making any changes. The jobs keep being generated continuously until I stop the AToM worker.
  I would appreciate your help in identifying the cause of this recursive generation of jobs. Mayra

Amaya Rodrigo

unread,
Sep 16, 2026, 11:54:17 AMSep 16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Mayra,

I'm pretty sure I have seen this issue before and am trying to find you what version fixes this.
https://wiki.accesstomemory.org/wiki/Releases/Release_announcements (I'm trying to confirm wether it is 2.10.1 or 2.10.2)
I'll be back with more info!

Un saludo! ;)


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ica-atom-user...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/77f0d585-ef89-49b9-a661-c99114d11533n%40googlegroups.com.


--
Amaya M Rodrigo Sastre (she/her/bofh) - sysadmin@artefactual 


Dan Gillean

unread,
Sep 16, 2026, 12:09:32 PMSep 16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mayra, 

One other thing you can do that might help reduce background job noise is to remove any hard-coded relationships between entities where inheritance would provide the same outcome. 

In AtoM, creator and repository relationships automatically inherit to lower levels of description in an archival hierarcy, unless you explicitly add a different relationship there. Meaning: If you add a creator name or an archival institution to a fonds, it will automatically show up in lower-level records. When you hover over the lower-level link, the tooltip that appears will clarify that this relationship is being inherited. 

From a domain perspective, AtoM is trying to follow some of the ICA's general principles of description: add information only to the level it is most relevant, and avoid unnecessarily repeating information at lower levels. From a technical perspective, using inheritance avoids AtoM having to manually update thousands of direct relationships every time you make an edit. This can help improve performance and, in some cases, reduce the number of background jobs that need to run, as fewer direct relationships require updating. 

There is one command-line task that can help check for this and automatically update your creator relationships where inheritance would produce the same outcome. See: 
Unfortunately, we don't have a CLI tool that can do the same for repository relationships - this could theoretically be done via SQL however. 

Anyway, this won't solve everything - hopefully Amaya has an update on a patch in a recent release that improves this overall - but it's worth being aware of, and will help performance in general. 

Cheers, 

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
Business & User Experience Analyst
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
he / him


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages