Dublin Core import into AtoM

Johan Pieterse

Jul 9, 2020, 7:40:31 AM7/9/20
to AtoM Users
Good day

Can you import Dublin Core CSV into AtoM?

Dan Gillean

Jul 9, 2020, 10:27:24 AM7/9/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Johan,

We don't have a dedicated Dublin Core CSV template for importing into AtoM. However, all the standards-based templates in AtoM are crosswalked, meaning you can flip from one template to another, and wherever there is a mapping, the data will be presented in the corresponding field - so for example, an ISAD scope and content field would display as the Description in the DC template.

This means that you can use the existing ISAD and RAD CSV templates to import data, even if you are intending to use the DC template for display.

Of course, not all fields in ISAD have an equivalent in DC. To help guide your CSV preparation, you might do something like the following:
  • Fill out a DC template description in the user interface,, adding the field names as data in each field. Save.
  • Add the newly created description to the clipboard, and export as CSV
  • Open the exported CSV - this can now act as your crosswalk, showing you which fields in the DC template will map to corresponding ISAD fields in the CSV import template
Alternatively, we've tried to add the corresponding CSV mappings to our DC data entry page in the documentation:
I confess it's been a release or two since I've had the time to fully review and update this, but as far as I can recall, I don't think any major changes have taken place since it was last updated, so it should be fairly accurate. Running a test import/export is always recommended, however!

Bonus tip: you can always preview a description in a different template by adding a semicolon and the standard's abbreviation after the URL. For example, if my description URL is http://example.com/my-description, I can preview it in other templates without making a permanent settings change in the interface like so:
Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.