restrict access to archival descriptions / finding aids for public users on the basis of the IP adress ?

audeale...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2021, 11:14:24 AM1/21/21
to AtoM Users

Hi again,

We have some finding aids with personal data which we would like to give access to only for the users on-site (in our reading room). Is that a possibility in AtoM? Is it possible to restrict the access to some archival descriptions or even some finding aids on the IP adress?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answer,

Best regards,

Aude

Dan Gillean

Jan 22, 2021, 9:51:37 AM1/22/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Aude,

 At this time, the publication status is still the best way to selectively restrict access to some descriptions from the public. We don't currently have support for the functionality you're asking about.

You can restrict the ability to log in as an administrator to an IP or an IP range, but I'm not sure that will help you in this context. There may be a way to do development that would add this type of functionality (viewing a description requires that the request originates from a specific IP or IP range), but it would require sponsorship for us to undertake the analysis and development necessary to explore this possibility and make it easily configurable.

One low-tech workaround might be not to upload the finding aids in AtoM. Instead, keep them in a directory on the computer in your reading room, and add a note on the description that a more detailed finding aid is available for reading room visitors?

If you're willing to experiment, there might be a way to configure the functionality you want via the webserver. Please note that we have not experimented with this, so we won't be able to provide guidance or support, but you can find resources on the web suggesting this possibility for Nginx - an example:
If you do some digging I'm sure you'll find others!

Similarly, if you have your own server, you could put the finding aids in a directory there and then limit access to the directory by IP, and use Markdown in AtoM to add a link to the appropriate finding aid. That way, only those on-site would be able to follow the link.

Good luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

audeale...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2021, 10:44:08 AM2/5/21
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot for your really detailed answer! I am really sorry for my late answer, I was busy on other projects.

The last possibilities, which have the advantage of limiting the necessary technical support, seems promising! I will explore them for the next update of our institutional Atom :-)

Have a nice week-end,
Best wishes,

Aude