Reference code (file level) questions

abe...@utoronto.ca

Mar 12, 2018, 4:43:49 PM3/12/18
to AtoM Users
Hi,

1. Is there a standard format for the reference code at the file level?  I assume there's none since everyone does this slightly differently.

2. Is there a reason why fields such as Box, File number are not available in the File description record?  They are used quite often in archival descriptions.

Thank you.

Abraham

Dan Gillean

Mar 12, 2018, 6:15:00 PM3/12/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Abe,

1 - no, identifiers and reference codes tend to be based on local conventions. For "reference," (sorry bad pun), I'll copy the ISAD rules on reference codes below:

ISAD 3.1.1 - Reference code(s)
Purpose:
To identify uniquely the unit of description and to provide a link to the description that represents it.
Rule:
Record, as necessary for unique identification, the following elements:
— the country code in accordance with the latest version of ISO 3166 Codes for the representation of names of countries;
— the repository code in accordance with the national repository code standard or other unique location identifier;
— a specific local reference code, control number, or other unique identifier.
All three elements must be present for the purpose of information exchange at the international level.
Examples:
CA OTY F0453 (Fonds)
Canada, York University Archives
CA OONAD R610-134-2-E (Fonds)
National Archives of Canada

It's also important to understand how reference codes are constructed in AtoM. See:

2 - In AtoM, physical location is maintained separately from intellectual arrangement. So a file (an intellectual unit of organization used by archivists for arrangement and description) is different than a Folder (a physical dossier generally used for the storage of 2D materials such as paper records, etc). Note that some archivists consider sharing specific physical storage locations to be a security risk, and prefer to obfuscate this information from end users.

Physical storage information can be added and linked to a description - see:
Unfortunately at this time, the physical storage module in AtoM is pretty limited, so storage locations themselves can't be hierarchically organized (e.g. nested folders in a box, boxes on a shelf, etc). We would love to see this improved, but it will require community sponsorship.

The visibility of linked physical storage location data for public users can be controlled via the Visible elements module. See:
Another option would be to use AtoM's alternative identifier field to add key information (box numbers, barcodes, etc) to the description. See:
Finally, I thought you might find the following workaround approach that UBC used to use (and may still) interesting - essentially they construct the description identifiers in such a way that it indicates the physical arrangement. See the following thread:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056