"error":"UnavailableShardsException[[atom][0] [2]

Mecanizacion de datos

May 27, 2014, 6:56:06 AM5/27/14
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,
We have instaled ICA-AtoM 2.0.1.  We had had this error while we were deleting the content of an Archival descriptions.

{"error":"UnavailableShardsException[[atom][0] [2] shardIt, [0] active : Timeout waiting for [1m], request: delete {[atom][QubitInformationObject][2081]}]","status":503}

why have it happened?

Thank you.

Dan Gillean

May 28, 2014, 5:17:14 PM5/28/14
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

It's hard to say just looking at this error report, but it sounds like you may have an issue with Elasticsearch? I would suggest that you try restarting ES, as well as clearing the cache and rebuilding the search index. Do you know how much memory you have allocated to Elasticsearch?

Restart Elasticsearch:
$ sudo service elasticsearch restart

Check ES status to make sure it restarted correctly:
$ sudo service elasticsearch status

Clear the cache and rebuild the search index
$ php symfony cc && php symfony search:populate

If you continue to encounter issues, you might try running the application in Debug mode to get a more verbose error report. You can save this stack trace and share it with us, it might give us more indications as to what is happening. You could also try checking the Nginx error log

$ sudo tail -f /var/log/nginx/error.log

If you haven't used Nginx, you will have to look up similar instructions for Apache, or whichever web server you have used. Simliarly, the ES instructions assumed that you have followed our installation instructions using Ubuntu 12.04 - if you are using something different, you may have to do some searching online to find the equivalent commands.

My only other suggestion would be that the browser itself is timing out, because you are trying to delete a very large fonds/collection (though based on the error, I don't *think* this is the case). If this were the case, you might try deleting some of the lower-level series, etc. first, before deleting the top-level description.

Let us know how it goes,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

David Juhasz

May 28, 2014, 5:22:10 PM5/28/14
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
You may also want to try https://www.qubit-toolkit.org/wiki/Elasticsearch#Diagnosis to check your Elasticsearch cluster health and locate any problem shards.

--

David Juhasz
Director, AtoM Technical Services Artefactual Systems Inc. www.artefactual.com

Mecanizacion de datos

May 29, 2014, 6:47:32 AM5/29/14
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan!,
Thanks for your answer. I´m sorry for not tell you that I have installed ICA AtoM on Windows. It has been working very well, but now, we have this problem. I have restarted Xampp and Elasticsearch, besides I have tried with diferents versions of Elasticsearch (0.90.11, 0.90.10, ....) but the problem has not been resolved. I have no idea how to allocate memory to Elasticsearch, I'm sorry.
Thank you

Dan Gillean

Jun 2, 2014, 5:00:55 PM6/2/14
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I believe that ES memory allocation takes place in etc/default/elasticsearch - specifically the ES_HEAP_SIZE for your install. This file is used by the init script that is in charge of running elasticsearch (in debian-based linux distributions, at least). Remember, if you are using XAMPP, it will depend on how much memory is available to XAMPP as well!

You might also trying using this built-in ES API to get back more information about your current ES instance: http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/cluster-stats.html#cluster-stats

Were you able to try any of my earlier suggestions, or any of those on https://www.qubit-toolkit.org/wiki/Elasticsearch#Diagnosis ?

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Tim Hutchinson

Jun 5, 2014, 10:41:20 PM6/5/14
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just wanted to add that I ran into the same error while running a bulk import via the command line (with indexing enabled). So this may not indicate a problem with ElasticSearch per se, but rather a general timeout issue. I wonder if increasing the php execution limits might help:
https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.0/admin-manual/installation/execution-limits/#installation-execution-limits

Similarly, just as it's recommended to run large import jobs via the command line, I wonder if that would work better for deleting large descriptions too. I haven't worked with this task, but I think the syntax would be:
php symfony tools:delete-description <slug>
where slug is the unique (last) part of the URL of the description

Tim