[ica-atom-users] treeview and Dutch translation

Bart (EDPNET)

May 7, 2010, 3:51:58 PM5/7/10
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm currently testing the ICA-AtoM sofware for our (small) repository and I'm very impressed by its ease of use and the clear overview it gives of a collection.

However, two minor drawbacks in my opinion are:
- the treeview on the right of the archival description page only shows 2 lines of text for each title in the tree;
Is there a way to show more text  in the case of a long title (e.g. add a line or make the line longer)?
- some of the headers and button texts are not yet translated in Dutch or are poorly translated:
e.g. "vervaardiger of" instead of "vervaardiger van"
Have these translations been reviewed for the next beta release (due in May)?

Kind regards,

Bart Sas
City Archives Turnhout
Belgium

Evelyn McLellan

May 7, 2010, 4:20:08 PM5/7/10
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Bart,

Thanks for your message. I'm glad you're finding Ica-AtoM useful.

Regarding the treeview, it's better to keep the titles brief because
the more text there is to display, the longer it takes a page to load.
Also, additional lines of text would make the context menu box extend
further down the page, which is not necessarily desirable. For these
reasons we have kept the titles the same length for ICA-AtoM 1.0.9,
although we understand that this delivers less information about each
description.

Regarding the translation, this has been an ongoing process over many
beta versions of ICA-AtoM. We have been making many changes to the
software, and you will find in 1.0.9 that some buttons and other
labels will not have been translated or may be improperly translated
due to changes by the developers. For ICA-AtoM 1.1, due this Fall, we
plan to have a stable version of the software for the translators to
work with prior to the release so that the translations will be
comprehensive and accurate. Of course, as a user you can always
translate interface elements yourself, in your own version of ICA-
AtoM. Please see the user manual at http://www.ica-atom.org/doc/index.php?title=UM-5.3
for instructions. Also, we always welcome new translators for the
project, so if you're interested please let me know and I can set you
up as one of our translators.

Thanks again for your comments. We really appreciate the feedback.

Evelyn McLellan
ICA-AtoM Community Manager

bart...@edpnet.be

May 8, 2010, 3:59:19 PM5/8/10
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Evelyn,

Thanks for the quick and detailed response!

The practical reasons for limiting the amount of text per title in the
treeview make sense.
But wouldn't it be interesting to be able to view the context menu in
full text on a whole page also.
This would give researchers an even clearer overview of a large fonds.

I would be more than happy to participate as a translator in the
project.
The multi-langual aspect seems to me one of the strengths of the
software.

Bart
City Archives Turnhout
Belgium

On 7 mei, 22:20, Evelyn McLellan <epmclel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bart,
>
> Thanks for your message. I'm glad you're finding Ica-AtoM useful.
>
> Regarding the treeview, it's better to keep the titles brief because
> the more text there is to display, the longer it takes a page to load.
> Also, additional lines of text would make the context menu box extend
> further down the page, which is not necessarily desirable. For these
> reasons we have kept the titles the same length for ICA-AtoM 1.0.9,
> although we understand that this delivers less information about each
> description.
>
> Regarding the translation, this has been an ongoing process over many
> beta versions of ICA-AtoM. We have been making many changes to the
> software, and you will find in 1.0.9 that some buttons and other
> labels will not have been translated or may be improperly translated
> due to changes by the developers. For ICA-AtoM 1.1, due this Fall, we
> plan to have a stable version of the software for the translators to
> work with prior to the release so that the translations will be
> comprehensive and accurate. Of course, as a user you can always
> translate interface elements yourself, in your own version of ICA-
> AtoM. Please see the user manual athttp://www.ica-atom.org/doc/index.php?title=UM-5.3

Jesús García Crespo

May 8, 2010, 6:02:03 PM5/8/10
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com, qubit-dev
Hi Bart,

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:59 PM,  <bart...@edpnet.be> wrote:
> But wouldn't it be interesting to be able to view the context menu in
> full text on a whole page also.
> This would give researchers an even clearer overview of a large fonds.

This is a nice suggestion. We can store the whole label in the title attribute of each anchor tag, so the text is displayed as a tooltip when the mouse hovers over the text-link. Is this enough for you?

I wrote a patch which implements this solution for our development version. It's working great and without any performance impact.

However, we are planning to release next week, so it's late to include any new features in the application because we don't have time for more testing. Therefore, once you upgrade to ICA-AtoM 1.0.9 I can guide you to apply this patch to your installation in case that fits with your requirements.

This is the patch, it's very simple: http://www.sevein.com/tmp/tooltip-treeview.patch

I created a new issue, http://code.google.com/p/qubit-toolkit/issues/detail?id=1573

Regards,

--
Jesús García Crespo,
Software Engineer, Artefactual Systems Inc.

Bart

May 9, 2010, 3:45:10 PM5/9/10
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Jesús,

Wow, thanks for adding the tooltip patch.
It seems like a nice and easy solution for the problem of incomplete
titles in the treeview.
(My first idea was: having an option to view the context menu in full
text on a separate page).
I'll get back to you once we've upgraded to 1.0.9!

Kind regards,

Bart
City Archives
Turnhout

On 9 mei, 00:02, Jesús García Crespo <je...@artefactual.com> wrote:
> Hi Bart,
>
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:59 PM,  <bart....@edpnet.be> wrote:
> > But wouldn't it be interesting to be able to view the context menu in
> > full text on a whole page also.
> > This would give researchers an even clearer overview of a large fonds.
>
> This is a nice suggestion. We can store the whole label in the title
> attribute of each anchor tag, so the text is displayed as a tooltip when the
> mouse hovers over the text-link. Is this enough for you?
>
> I wrote a patch which implements this solution for our development version.
> It's working great and without any performance impact.
>
> However, we are planning to release next week, so it's late to include any
> new features in the application because we don't have time for more testing.
> Therefore, once you upgrade to ICA-AtoM 1.0.9 I can guide you to apply this
> patch to your installation in case that fits with your requirements.
>
> This is the patch, it's very simple:http://www.sevein.com/tmp/tooltip-treeview.patch
>
> <http://www.sevein.com/tmp/tooltip-treeview.patch>I created a new issue,http://code.google.com/p/qubit-toolkit/issues/detail?id=1573
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Jesús García Crespo,
> Software Engineer, Artefactual Systems Inc.http://www.artefactual.com| +1.604.527.2056

Maarten

May 9, 2010, 4:43:07 PM5/9/10
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Bart,

We've been testing en using ICA-AtoM since the 1.0.7 release here at
VIOE (Vlaams Instituut voor het Onroerend Erfgoed). We plan to go live
in September and will be doing some additional translating as well.
Perhaps we should meet and exchange our experiences?

Kind regards,

Maarten Vermeyen

Evelyn McLellan

May 10, 2010, 5:06:54 PM5/10/10
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Bart,

I agree, it would be nice to be able to view the treeview with full
titles on a separate page. I've added an issue to our development
issues list at http://code.google.com/p/qubit-toolkit/issues/detail?id=1574.

Evelyn