Atom Virtual server on macbook

Cory

May 1, 2019, 6:15:37 PM5/1/19
to AtoM Users
Hi,

I have downloaded Access to Memory onto my macbook and installed it with the Oracle Virtualbox and Vagrant instructions.

I was using the demo account to practice entering accessions and archival descriptions, but when I tried to backup the entries to an excel file or print some sort of report of the entry so I could send it to a friend for corrections/critiques, it won't let me (internal server error).

I'm wondering if this is not letting me back up the copies because I'm using the virtual server on my own laptop, or if it's because I'm using the demo account?

I don't know anything about these kinds of things, servers or otherwise, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cory

Dan Gillean

May 1, 2019, 6:34:02 PM5/1/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Cory,

If you've followed our instructions for setting up the AtoM Vagrant box, then there shouldn't be any restrictions on uploads or downloads, imports or exports.

When everything is working, you should be able to export archival descriptions in CSV format using the Clipboard in the user interface - see:
You can also export description search/browse results in CSV format from the user interface:
One unfortunate catch is that we currently do not have any export options for accession records! I will return to that later.

First, let's see if we can sort out the 500 error that you are encountering. The most likely cause is that the job scheduler needs to be restarted - it performs the Clipboard and Search/Browse result exports via the user interface asynchronously in the background as a job. Occasionally, it seems to require a restart after periods of inactivity. See:
You can try restarting it in the AtoM vagrant box with the following, run from the root AtoM directory:
  • sudo systemctl restart atom-worker
You may want to clear the application cache and restart PHP-FPM as well, for good measure - however, be aware that doing so may clear your browser session, meaning you may be logged out, and any records currently pinned to the clipboard might be lost.  Try it without first, but here are the commands:
  • php symfony cc
  • sudo systemctl restart php7.0-fpm
If that doesn't resolve the issue, then we'll want to learn more about the exact nature of the error, as captured in the webserver error logs. You can access these with the following command:
  • sudo tail -f /var/log/nginx/error.log

(PS you can press CTRL or CMD+C to exit out of the error log)

Please feel free to share any message you find in the error log relevant to this issue, and I can provide further suggestions based on it.

I would also suggest you look at the new Troubleshooting documentation page - it contains a wealth of information on common solutions to reoccurring issues.

Regarding the accessions: if you are a developer who is confident working with SQL, you could try to extract them directly from the AtoM MySQL database. I don't have a query handy that will magically do that for you, but I can point you in the right direction with some resources if desired.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Cory Frank Dvorak

May 2, 2019, 2:29:58 PM5/2/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Dan!

I’m not sure what I did, but I copied and pasted most of the commands you sent me plus the one to reset the job scheduler and it is working now!

One of my problems I think was that I did the “Vagrant up” part in terminal, but I never did the “vagrant ssh” command before.

Like I said, I don’t know what I’m doing with the terminal stuff, but your email definitely helped

Thank you again!
Cory

Dan Gillean

May 2, 2019, 2:40:27 PM5/2/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Cory,

I'm glad to hear it worked!

If you haven't seen them already, the slide deck for the AtoM Vagrant box is a lot more visual, detailed, and (I find) easier to follow than the simple developer's documentation we have, which sort of assumes you know what you're doing. I tried to make the slides as basic as possible:

If you are completely new to using the unix/linux command line, this 101 deck might help with some basics, and point you to other cheat sheets and tutorials:
If you'd like to learn more about AtoM's most commonly used command-line tasks, check out this slide deck:
You will also find the Troubleshooting page useful - similar to the slides linked above, it offers a what / why / when approach to explaining some of the common tasks.

The full list of command-line tasks for AtoM, which you can play with in Vagrant, can be found in our documentation here:
And finally... if you intend to be using the Vagrant box for a while, and are interested in learning how you can create a reusable set of test data, the following slides might be of interest:
Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.