ubuntu 32 or 64 bits

Ghislain Thibault

Aug 22, 2016, 12:40:39 PM8/22/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

We are installing ubuntu on vm and I am being asked by the computer services which version of ubuntu. 32 or 64?

Please advise,

Ghislain Thibault X4014

Archiviste informatique documentaire, Université d’Ottawa, CRCCF

Dan Gillean

Aug 22, 2016, 1:17:56 PM8/22/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Ghislain,

You can technically install with either version - it will depend on how large you expect your holdings to be, how much traffic you expect to the site, and how many resources you intend to allocate to the VM. I would strongly suggest that if you have a choice, use the 64-bit version - as I understand it, 32bits only allows for a maximum of about 3 or 4GBs of memory to be allocated (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_GB_barrier), and it tends to be slower.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

David Juhasz

Aug 22, 2016, 1:38:41 PM8/22/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ghislain,

64-bit Ubuntu is the default version (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/server) and recommended for all modern hardware.  32-bit is only recommended for very old hardware that does not support 64-bit operating systems.

Cheers,
David

--

David Juhasz