update alternativeIdentifierLabels field via csv update

Emily Sommers

Nov 15, 2023, 12:19:30 PM11/15/23
to AtoM Users
Hi,

I am trying to update data in the alternativeIdentifiers and alternativeIdentifierLabels fields but in my tests, the data just gets appended, not updated. The documentation says that these fields support updating. My sys admin is testing out the import through the CLI - here is the command she is using:

php symfony csv:import --update="match-and-update" --skip-unmatched --roundtrip [path to csv]

Are we missing a flag? We are running 2.7.3 - 192

If these fields don't support updating in place - where can I submit a request to update the documentation? Thanks in advance!

-Emily

Dan Gillean

Nov 16, 2023, 8:56:57 AM11/16/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Emily,

Having checked that the alternative identifiers do not live on either of the main information_object database tables, I was worried that you had in fact found an error in the documentation.

However, this morning I ran a test in my local development environment on the qa/2.x branch (i.e. everything that is currently slated to be included in the upcoming 2.8 release), and my update import was successful.

I included 2 alternative identifiers in my original description. After exporting them, I changed the label on one, and the value on the other. The only other change in the CSV was in the scope and content field. In both alt-id cases, the roundtrip update worked as expected without producing new/duplicate alt-ids:

alt-ids-changed.png

Interestingly, the only difference in the command I ran from yours was that I actually forgot to include the --update type - it seems that if --roundtrip is included, then the import will still work as a match and update import. So my full command looked like this:
  • php symfony csv:import --roundtrip --skip-unmatched isad_000000001.csv
As far as I am aware, I don't believe there are any changes to the import behavior between 2.7 and the upcoming 2.8 release, so I am not sure what might be producing the difference.
  • Have you run a test where NO other fields in your CSV are changed but the alternative identifiers are changed, to see if that makes any difference?
  • Are you changing the name of the CSV, or the legacyId value included in the export CSV?
  • I believe your AtoM site has a custom theme... do you know if it includes any other code customizations that might impact imports (changes to template or module files)?
  • Can you confirm that all the recommended changes to your custom theme were made, from this section of the upgrade docs?
  • Did you ensure the site was reindexed after your import? Have you tried clearing the cache / restarting PHP-FPM, and possibly clearing your browser cache as well, just to confirm that it's not some weird artifact of a cached version showing up?
Otherwise, I currently have no idea why it's behaving differently for you!

Either way: if you find errors in the documentation, and/or would like to request or suggest changes, you can always file an issue directly on the GitHub repository for the documentation, here:
Alternatively, if we are able to reproduce any issue found, I or another team member would be happy to file an issue on your behalf, if you don't have and/or dont' want to create a GitHub account.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Emily Sommers

Nov 16, 2023, 9:26:10 AM11/16/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Dan for all this helpful information! I’ll try some of your suggestions in the coming days and report back here on how it went.

All the best,