AtoM Installation Inquiry

Arwa El Hussein

Sep 25, 2020, 2:32:41 PM9/25/20
to AtoM Users
Hi,

My organization runs on a Mac environment and I was trying to get AtoM running for them. I understand that AtoM is designed to be run on a Linux server, but seeing as your installation guide has a Mac OS X section with the necessary dependencies, I thought I could set up the server on one of our Mac computers. I downloaded the necessary dependencies and tried to follow the Linux installation guide, I got as far as creating the database but the locahost did not work.

What are the logistics of hosting it on a Mac vs Linus? If we can host it on a Mac, can I get some further instruction on how exactly to set it up?

Thank you,
Arwa

Karl Goetz

Sep 25, 2020, 6:32:53 PM9/25/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arwa,
Are you looking to experiment / run some sort of test environment? If so running an Ubuntu virtual machine might be an easier way to go.

Karl.

Sep 28, 2020, 9:06:41 AM9/28/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karl,

I'm looking to install AtoM for production for my organization. I did run the VM, but that did not really help me better understand the possibility of hosting AtoM on Mac. Can it be hosted on Mac at all?

Thanks,
Arwa

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/ME1PR01MB15407FD16A0B8EC34402F568D0360%40ME1PR01MB1540.ausprd01.prod.outlook.com.

--
Arwa El Hussein (she/her)
Archival Technician - Graphic Materials

The Inuit Art Foundation's main office is located on the ancestral and traditional territories of the Mississaugas of the Credit, the Haudenosaunee, the Anishnaabe and the Huron-Wendat, the original owners and custodians of this land. Today, this place is home to many including a diverse urban Indigenous community of Inuit, First Nations and Métis.

Jesús San Miguel

Sep 28, 2020, 10:03:48 AM9/28/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
I would really go with a docker installation... It will save you a lot of trouble

Jesús San Miguel

Director General / CEO

Medios Avanzados

Pedro Teixeira, 9

28020 Madrid

Tel.: 902.4.8.16.32

Tel.: + 34.91.598.32.70

Mobile: +34.670.910.456

E-mail: je...@medios.es

Medios Avanzados de Cálculo y Diseño, S.L.

Inscrita en el Registro Mercantil de Madrid

CIF / VAT: ESB80595283

Karl Goetz

Sep 28, 2020, 8:13:59 PM9/28/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arwa,
I strongly recomend you do not try and run your production site on a mac.

You'll be running an unsupported configuration and you do not appear to have experience in the area.
thanks,
Karl

Sent: Monday, 28 September 2020 11:06 PM
To: ica-ato...@googlegroups.com <ica-ato...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [atom-users] AtoM Installation Inquiry

Arwa El Hussein

Sep 29, 2020, 9:01:21 AM9/29/20
to AtoM Users
Hi Karl,

Thanks for all your help! I'm going to be advising my organization on how to move forward but will give up on running it on a Mac.

Best,

Arwa

Dan Gillean

Sep 30, 2020, 6:19:07 PM9/30/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Thanks to Karl and Jesus for providing some excellent recommendations here!

Arwa, thanks for posting as well - you have brought to my attention that this Mac OS X page is out of date - for example, it currently recommends using Homebrew to install MySQL version 5.5, while the most recent AtoM release actually runs on MySQL 8.0!

In any case, as Karl has noted, we do all of our testing and development against Ubuntu LTS releases. While Mac operating systems are built around a similar linux/unix kernel, we cannot guarantee that all necessary packages will be available to install AtoM natively in Mac, and we also strongly recommend against a production installation this way - we cannot provide detailed installation instructions or support recommendations for a Mac installation.

If you are able to configure and manage an Ubuntu 18.04 Virtual Machine on your Mac server, this would be our recommendation, as then you can scale the VM as needed (for example, based on the recommendations in our documentation), as well as follow the officially supported documentation.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.