pouf...@yahoo.ca

Jan 22, 2017, 2:34:25 PM1/22/17
to AtoM Users
I see lots of other files being imported, but has anyone tried importing from an old InMagic DOS program?

Dan Gillean

Jan 23, 2017, 1:34:53 PM1/23/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

AtoM supports CSV or XML (EAD 2002, DC, MODS) imports. You would likely require some kind of transformation script to be able to import from an InMagic instance - there is not currently any way to import InMagic DOS files directly into AtoM. Instead, I would recommend exploring what export options your old system provides you with, and then working on crosswalking that data against ISAD(G), which the AtoM template is based upon. If no compatible export option is available, you might need the support of a developer who can prepare a script to extract and transform the data.

Here is a previous reply to someone asking about DB/Textworks - my response here would be similar:

For a more detailed response on some of the steps we suggest if you are considering a migration via CSV export/import, see this thread:

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 11:34 AM, pouffe1ca via AtoM Users <ica-atom-users@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I see lots of other files being imported, but has anyone tried importing from an old InMagic DOS program?

Tim Hutchinson

Jan 23, 2017, 6:31:25 PM1/23/17
to AtoM Users
Hi,

In case this is of any use, we have a perl script that was used to convert either ImageMagic or DBText to EAD - but last used almost 15 years ago. Based on the filename it was apparently DBText, but the input format is what I remember from ImageMagic: not CSV but rather a text dump with the fieldname at the beginning of each line or block of text.

It would need to be revised to reflect the flavour of EAD now supported by AtoM (this would have been pre-EAD 2002), as well as your field structure ... let alone other changes that might be necessary to dust off a 15-year old script. The way the script is designed, it would probably be possible to export to CSV instead of EAD. It's important to clarify that we never used this for AtoM. But if it this sounds better than starting from scratch, I'd be glad to provide a copy off-list.

Tim Hutchinson
University of Saskatchewan

marie heaster

Jan 23, 2017, 6:43:36 PM1/23/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Tim. It all sounds a bit beyond our volunteers' expertise - we are a very small museum with about a half dozen people who keep it going.

I'll check with the others and if one of them can handle this type of thing we'll get back to you.

I appreciate your time, information and offer of help.

Cheers, Marie