Google searches and analytics not updating for new url

John La

Mar 27, 2015, 6:41:44 PM3/27/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
We just updated from version 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 and also changed our url from

However, when doing searches in Google some returns with /atom-2.0.1/ and some returns with /atom/
We have already done the google fetch and re-crawl instructions.
Is there anything else we need to do to remove all the references to 2.0.1?

Similarly the new app.yml has been updated with the google analytic key but it still shows zero activity all week.
In google analytics, we already updated the url.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Dan Gillean

Mar 27, 2015, 7:00:14 PM3/27/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

I'm not sure off the top of my head what the issue is here, but usually when the app.yml file is edited, you will need to restart services for it to take effect. I'd probably clear the cache as well.

sudo service php5-fpm restart
sudo service nginx restart
php symfony cc

The above commands assume that you've followed our suggested installation guidelines - I seem to recall that you are using XAMPP or WAMP for your installation, so you may need to restart services with a different method.

Hopefully doing so will help with the new analytics key.

Let us know!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Product Manager / Systems Analyst,
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

John La

Mar 30, 2015, 5:22:11 PM3/30/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,
I clear cache and restarted the server a few times but still nothing.
I did the view source in IE and cannot find the javascript _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-...
Is there a setting I missed?

Thanks,
John

Jesús García Crespo

Mar 30, 2015, 6:26:07 PM3/30/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 3:41 PM, John La <jluj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there anything else we need to do to remove all the references to 2.0.1?

You should be returning a 301 Moved Permanently under your old /atom-2.0.1 so your clients (including search engines) can discover the new location. In Nginx you could try something like the following inside the server block:

rewrite ^/atom-2.0.1(.*)$ /atom$1 permanent;

This should be the result seen using curl:

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://searcharchives.coquitlam.ca/atom/repository/browser

Regarding to Google Analytics, I would double check that you are using the right key, i.e. "google_analytics_api_key". It can be defined in config/app.yml or apps/qubit/config/app.yml - feel free to send us the contents of your YAML if you want us to verify it.

--
Jesús García Crespo,
Software Engineer, Artefactual Systems Inc.

John La

Mar 30, 2015, 6:43:43 PM3/30/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jesus, I will look into the 301 rewrite.

I have attached the amp.yml file for you to verify.

Thanks,
John
app.yml

Jesús García Crespo

Mar 30, 2015, 7:19:55 PM3/30/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Your app.yml file looks fine to me. We tried in my development environment and the snippet appears at the very end inside the body element. I'm running out of ideas though I suspect it's something related to the cache, maybe one of the process in the pool didn't restart or something like that.

As a last resort, you can always embed the GA snippet in _footer.php manually: https://github.com/artefactual/atom/blob/qa/2.2.x/apps/qubit/templates/_footer.php and clear the cache. That would do the trick though it's far from ideal!

Regards,

John La

Mar 31, 2015, 1:55:16 PM3/31/15
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jesus,
I ended up hard-coding the code in the _footer.php.
As $gaKey = sfConfig::get('app_google_analytics_api_key')  was returning null.
Now Analytics is working.

Next step for me is to do the rewrite 301.

Thanks,
Johnny