DIP with two pdf files and Atom ponts to the same file

sergio folco

Feb 19, 2020, 11:32:38 AM2/19/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
By Archivematica I transfer two different pdf files and the correspondent metadata.csv file. In the csv file I have two rows (one for each pdf file). Once the DIP is tranferred to ATOM, in the web interface I have two items with different metadata, but with the same thumbnail and file. I am expecting that each item points to the corresponding thumbnail, file and metadata. What is my mistake? Thank you

Dan Gillean

Feb 20, 2020, 4:15:16 PM2/20/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

Can you tell us a bit more about your environment and workflow? For example:
  • What version of Archivematica are you using?
  • What version of AtoM are you using?
  • What type of headers are you using in the metadata.csv file - for example, Dublin Core fields, ISAD(G) fields, or custom metadata headers?
  • Have you confirmed that the normal DIP upload works between these two instances? (i.e. without additional metadata, etc)?
First, I will repeat what I posted recently in another thread about current Archivematica / AtoM functionality regarding metadata:

You can include descriptive metadata in your transfer in 2 ways in Archivematica - either using a web form in Archivematica during processing to add general Dublin Core metadata for the entire transfer, or by including an accompanying CSV with additional descriptive metadata. See:

Note: forgot to mention in this previous reply that you can also include the accompanying metadata.csv file at transfer time - see:
Depending on the workflow that you follow, your aggregate Dublin Core metadata will be transferred to AtoM as a parent level. Alternatively, you can also do some arrangement by fetching the levels of description from AtoM, and using them to assign a basic fonds/collection structure to the transfer before sending the DIP to AtoM, so that same structure will be recreated during the DIP upload. Some links: Unfortunately, at this time, descriptive metadata included in an accompanying CSV is not passed to AtoM. It will be stored with your AIP in the accompanying METS file generated during processing (and will still be included as a CSV in the final AIP), but you would need to re-add it in AtoM.
AtoM does have the ability to handle a CSV import as an update to existing descriptions, however, so it would technically be possible to update your descriptions via import later. There are some gotchas with this functionality so it would take some practice to figure out a workflow that will work for your needs, but we can always help you with that via this forum if needed.
There are many ways we hope to improve the integration between Archivematica and AtoM in the future. Thus far, unless members of our community decide to sponsor work to improve the integration, it has been difficult for Artefactual to take on the development required to enhance the relationship between the two applications (mostly because we are a small company and we give away all our core work for free) without some kind of community support. You can read more about how we maintain and develop AtoM (and Archivematica) on the AtoM wiki, here:

I've bolded the most important part of this summary above - currently, descriptive CSV metadata is not passed to AtoM. Instead, it is stored in the METS file of your AIP.

However, as far as I know, you shouldn't have ended up with the same object attached to two different descriptions in AtoM. I'm hoping that it might be a bug fixed in newer versions. If not, having more information about your environment and workflow will still help us narrow down the causes of this behavior.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 11:32 AM sergio folco <sergio...@gmail.com> wrote:
In archivematica I transfer two different pdf files and the correspondent metadata.csv file. In the csv file I have two rows (one for each pdf file). Once the DIP is tranferred to ATOM, in the web intarface I have two items with different metadata, but with the same thumbnail and file. I am expecting that each item points to the corresponding thumbnail, file and metadata. What is my mistake? Thank you

sergio folco

Feb 28, 2020, 7:35:42 AM2/28/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
thank you fro your clarifications, but I have solved the issue. The problem was related to the bad encoding of metadata.csv file ANSI instead of UTF-8. In fact now the Atom display the right metadata and thumbnail for each pdf file.
Thank you again