Event types and authority records

Rebecca Shaw

Mar 30, 2021, 10:25:37 AM3/30/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I noticed recently that duplicate Subject links are created in authority records when an authority name is added in connection to an Event Type, other than "Creator" (in the RAD template).

e.g., National Research Council of Canada. Electronic Music Laboratory added as a Contributor:

Creates "Contributor of" AND "Subject of" links on the Authority record page (even though it was not added as a Subject):

Any solutions to this problem?

Thanks!
Rebecca

Rebecca Shaw, MLIS, MA | Music Archivist | 416-978-1028
r.s...@utoronto.caa

Dan Gillean

Mar 30, 2021, 10:53:14 AM3/30/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rebecca,

Unfortunately, this is a known issue that I've been trying to get our team to resolve for some time. It used to display that way on the related description as well, whenever a creation event was added:
Several community users rightly pointed out that an actor can be a creator without being the subject of the records at all. We managed to address that in release 2.4.1, but it negatively impacted the visibility of non-creation events on description view pages. We have another ticket for that here:
If you look at my feedback on this issue in note-8, you can see that I managed to reproduce the issue you are describing. Unfortunately, it looks like this dropped off our radar and the latest feedback was not addressed.

I will try to bump this issue again, with the hopes that we can address it for the 2.7 release. I've updated the issue with a note to this effect (note-11). Note that we also have 2 wishlist tickets to improve non-creation event management in AtoM. See:
If your institution might be interested in sponsoring this development work (either just the bug fix, and/or some of the wishlist items) so we can guarantee its inclusion in the 2.7 release, please feel free to contact Artefactual off-list, and we can review the issue and prepare an estimate for you.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.