Cristian Amézquita

Feb 8, 2017, 10:15:25 AM2/8/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Dear Dan,

It's a pleasure talking to you, I'm writing to you from Guatemala, specifically from the Registro Nacional de las Personas –RENAP-. We recently have updated the 2.2.1 Atom version to the 2.3.0 but we have encountered some inconvenients, such as:

-Problems with the entry of dates, the program doesn't separate the month, day or year with hyphen.

- It doesn't do the count of files in the list of displays. Before the update we had 77,00 descriptions and now we have 8,608.

- Also, in the new inventory option of the report it doesn't display the date of the files.

Our vision is to integrate Atom with QR codes. It would be of great benefit that you could orient us of how we could integrate in a better or alternate way because Atom is in a internal network.

I'll look forward in hearing from you.

Best regards.

Jesús García Crespo

Feb 8, 2017, 11:25:36 AM2/8/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cristian,

Dan is currently travelling but I'm sure he'll be able to respond your three first questions soon. I'll try to help with your request about QR codes.

Our vision is to integrate Atom with QR codes. It would be of great benefit that you could orient us of how we could integrate in a better or alternate way because Atom is in a internal network.

Can you share more details about the solution that you are trying to build? For example, do you want AtoM to generate QR codes and share them in the archival description page based on perhaps the reference code of the description or the URL? Or the QR codes are generated by a different system and you want AtoM to use them? If you described us the workflow that you are envisioning step by step we could probably help you with more details. It sounds very interesting, can't wait to hear more about it.

Thanks,

Jesús García Crespo,
Software Engineer, Artefactual Systems Inc.
http://www.artefactual.com | +1.604.527.2056

Dan Gillean

Feb 10, 2017, 12:29:10 PM2/10/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Cristian,

Thanks for your questions! I will try to respond to them below.

-Problems with the entry of dates, the program doesn't separate the month, day or year with hyphen.

This may depend on how you manage the data entry. There are 3 different date fields in AtoM - the display date, which allows users to use text (including typographical marks like question marks, square brackets, etc) to express uncertainty, approximation, etc as needed, based on local or national convention. Then there are the controlled internal start and end dates - these fields are not generally shown to the end-user, but instead are used for elements such as the Date range search. The start/end date fields expect ISO 8601 formatted dates (e.g. YYYY, YYYY-MM, or YYYY-MM-DD). Generally, these are for internal use only - many of AtoM's UI elements expect to show the display date field.

Our CSV templates also include 3 date fields, so even during imports you should be able to configure this to include all necessary fields. Similarly, during an EAD XML import, the <unitdate> string data will be used for the display date, while any @normal attributes with controlled values will be mapped to the start/end date fields.

When you are creating data via the user interface and adding date information to the Date field, AtoM will try to automatically populate the start/end date fields - but it is a very simple helper, and it might not always get it right! You can always manually edit the values that get added to start/end dates before you save the description, to make sure it is properly formatted.

Note that we have identified an issue where, if the start/end date is populated but the display date is not, then dates were not showing up in search/browse results. We have attempted to resolve this in the upcoming 2.4 release - see this ticket for more information:
After this fix, if you have start/end dates but no display date, AtoM will "fall back" to show the start/end dates in search results instead.

- It doesn't do the count of files in the list of displays. Before the update we had 77,00 descriptions and now we have 8,608.

I'm not totally clear on what you mean, but it is possible that this is because of the Top-level description filter. This means that, by default on the browse page for archival descriptions, AtoM will now only show the top-level descriptions (e.g. those with no parents above them, like fonds, collections, etc). Users can still see all results by a) clicking the X on the top-level description filter tag at the top on the results to remove it, or b) opening the advanced search panel and changing the radio button option that controls this:

For more information on default browsing behavior and the Advanced search panel in AtoM, see:

Note as well that if you do not like this behavior, it is possible to customize this via the user interface. All of AtoM's search and browse parameters are passed via the URL used. You will note that when you remove the top-level description filter, the URL changes from /informationobject/browse to /informationobject/browse?topLod=0. This means, if you want, you can go into Admin > Menus, find the Browse menu, and edit the path for the Archival description browse so it includes this information - find browseInformationObjects on the Menus page, click on it, enter edit mode, and change the path so it reads informationobject/browse?topLod=0 and then save.

Now your users will automatically see all levels of description (instead of just top-level descriptions) when navigating to Browse > Archival descriptions.

If this is NOT what you mean, or not the cause of the issue, then it may be an upgrade issue. The first thing I recommend would be to try rebuilding the search index and clearing the appliation cache. Remember to clear your browser cache after as well, so you are seeing an updated version of the page. To clear the cache and rebuild the search index, run the following commands from the root directory of your AtoM installation:

  • php symfony search:populate
  • php symfony cc

Let us know if this helps!

- Also, in the new inventory option of the report it doesn't display the date of the files.

I think that this is because of the issue I have discussed above - it is possible that you have start/end dates but no display dates. I have just done a quick test, and it looks like the work we have added on issue #10838 should fix this as well. AtoM will first attempt to display the Display date, but if none is present, it will fall back and show the start/end dates.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Message has been deleted

camezq...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2017, 10:21:45 PM3/13/17
to AtoM Users

Dear Dan,

We've updated to 2.3.0 version. I wanted to let you know that the technicians in our institution gave us the following report to the issues we've encountered:

- problems arose at the moment of entering the respective command that allows the repopulation of data.

- The recommended commands have been applied without any success.

- We still have the issue with the dates

- They recommend going back to the 2.2.1 version with the risk of losing information.

We would be grateful if you would guide us with a solution to our problem, in order to continue with the description of approximately 95,000 books.

We would like to have a free consultation by you, which could be any by videoconference or by the way that you consider pertinent.

Thank you very much.

Your help is much appreciated.

Best Regards.

Cristian.

Dan Gillean

Mar 14, 2017, 1:02:36 PM3/14/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hello Cristian,

I am sorry to hear that the suggestions did not help for you. I am curious to know more of what you mean when you say they didn't work. Some questions:
  • Did you look in the date fields and ensure that there is data in both the display and start and end dates?
  • Can you tell me more about the specific date issue you are having? Are you adding the hyphens and they are not saving?
  • Did you try removing the top-level description filter to see if this displays all records?
  • If the count is still off after doing so, by how much?
  • What happens when you run the search repopulate task - does it fail? Is there an error message you can share?
  • Is your site publicly visible so I can take a look?
In all cases, providing detailed steps as to what you have tried and what the results are will help us better understand your situation.

Unfortunately, we are not able to freely offer individual consultations. We are a very small company who gives as many of our resources away freely as we are able to - you can read more about how we manage this for both AtoM and Archivematica on the AtoM wiki, in the following page if you are interested:

As a small company who gives away most of its resources, the time we have to devote to unpaid support and community growth is limited - we need to make sure we attend to our paid client projects so we can continue to provide bug fixes, new features and enhancements, release testing and packaging, documentation, webinars, conference presentations, wiki resources, and of course, free advice and basic support via the user forum, all free to our community. For this reason, we cannot provide individual unpaid support or answer personal questions off-list.

Artefactual does offer additional paid services if you are interested, including hosting, remote technical support, training, and more. Please see our website for further information, and if you are interested in any of these services, please feel free to contact me off-list.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 7:17 PM, <camezq...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

carlosmar...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2017, 12:40:11 PM7/31/17
to AtoM Users

Good afternoon from Guatemala. The truth is a long time ago that I had not
written for the amount of work, but the proposal of QR codes in ATOM is as
follows:

In Guatemala, specifically in the Central Archive of RENAP, we have
generated, through the ATOM, an archival description of 95,000 books of
record (old books of civil registry, each book is a file), which is a great
achievement for our institution with your support. Although these 95,000 log
books are described archivistically, we now wish to begin the topographic
inventory.

But we wanted to do something extraordinary, things that many archives would
like to do, and it occurred to us to evaluate the possibility of creating a
QR code for each registry book (that is, a QR code for each file).

What is proposed is that the ATOM generates a QR code for each ATOM
identification code of each file and that the QR code is placed in the
physical book and subsequently that it can be read by a mobile device and
that it is deployed automatically the archival description of the consulted
book.

The other proposal would be to create a QR application in addition to the
ATOM,.

This is a great dream for us, and we would like your help in order to make
this beautiful project viable.

Dan Gillean

Aug 7, 2017, 2:27:52 PM8/7/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hello Carlos,

I have responded with some starting point suggestions on QR code development in this thread:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056