New Archival Description Not Appearing

dallas...@gmail.com

May 26, 2021, 2:39:51 PM5/26/21
to AtoM Users
Hello all,

I just created and published a new archival description. However, when I log out to view it from a user's perspective the new archival description is not there. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Sincerely,

Dallas Hanbury

Dan Gillean

May 27, 2021, 10:29:19 AM5/27/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Dallas,

A couple things you can try to resolve this issue:

First some general checks.
  • Might be silly, but start by double-checking that the publication status update actually took effect?
  • Make sure that any ancestor descriptions are also published. In most cases you shouldn't be able to publish a child of a draft parent, but in some circumstances it's possible to make this happen - though it can lead to the outcome you describe, because if the parent record is hidden from public users, then the descendants will be as well.
  • Similarly, make sure you haven't applied any custom permissions to this particular description, or collection/fonds, that might prevent public viewing
  • Make sure you clear your web browser cache, or test in an incognito browser window where the cache is typically disabled by default - in some cases, you may be seeing outdated resultsI
If everything seems fine with the above and the description is not visible, then we can next try a few common maintenance tasks. All of the following commands should be run from the root AtoM installation directory - if you have followed our recommended installation instructions, then this is typically:
  • /usr/share/nginx/atom

If the commands won't run and you've confirmed you are in the right directory, try running them as the www-data user - this is the user to whom we assign all filesystem rights when installing and configuring AtoM. To do so, simply precede the commands below with sudo -u www-data.

Clear the application cache

Restart PHP-FPM

If you have memcached installed, it is good to clear that cache as well. This command should not have any ill effects if you don't have memcached installed, so you can always try it out:

Repopulate the search index

  • php symfony search:populate

  • See: https://www.accesstomemory.org/docs/latest/admin-manual/maintenance/populate-search-index/

  • Note: If you have a lot of records, this task can take a long time to run, and will make records temporarily unavailable in the user interface as they are reindexed. Best to run this after business hours. However, you can also use some of the task options to reduce the time it takes by limiting how it runs - for example, using the --update option will not make existing records unavailable as the task progresses (it will progressively replace the index rather than deleting it first). The --exclude-types option can be used to target just certain entity types, rather than all of them, and the --slug option can be used just to target specific records, taking the slug as input. See the documentation for further details and options.

Those would be the main tasks I would try first. Remember as well that your web browser cache should be cleared before testing.

If it's still not working, there are a couple other tasks you can try that resolve issues with corrupted data, which can sometimes happen if there's a timeout during save, or similar:

Rebuild the nested set:

Generate slugs

Let us know if this helps!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Dallas Hanbury

May 27, 2021, 11:21:11 AM5/27/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

Thanks for your reply. I tried your first four suggestions; everything checks out. As for your other suggestions I cannot perform them because we did not install Atom at my institution, your company hosts it for us. Also, I noticed that we are running version 2.5 and that version 2.6.4 is available. Perhaps that has something to do with the problem?

Dallas

Dan Gillean

May 27, 2021, 11:41:06 AM5/27/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Dallas,

Ah! If you are hosted by Artefactual, you are always welcome to contact our dedicated support email address. I will forward this thread on your behalf so that one of our team members can follow up, and also provide you an update on how soon we can upgrade your installation (I don't think that running 2.5.x should inherently introduce publication issues).

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Dallas Hanbury

May 27, 2021, 11:47:26 AM5/27/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

Thank you for forwarding this to one of your team members. I look forward to reading their advice on this problem.

Dallas