Selection in Treeview

r.ruti...@docuteam.ch

Sep 17, 2020, 5:35:39 AM9/17/20
to AtoM Users
Hi there,

I have one single fonds within an archival institution. In this fonds I have 150+ Series.

If I click, for example in the search-results page, on an archival description which is part of a series, then the selected item is marked in the tree view box above.
But only, if the series is within the first 50 items that appear by default. If the series is on page 2 or 3 (using the "more" button top right), the selected archival description won't be shown in the treeview box. instead, only the fonds is showing up, not expanded.

Is there a way to always jump to the archival description in the treeview? Maybe one can set the shown items to infinite?

Kind regards
Roger

Dan Gillean

Sep 17, 2020, 12:45:28 PM9/17/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Roger,

There has been a bit of churn on this specific issue as we've tried to balance performance at scale against usability - and there's likely more work to be done - but I'm hoping that the enhancements we added in 2.6 will resolve your issue.

The pager was implemented to avoid timeouts that break the tree when very large hierarchies are loaded, but 50 records at a time is a pretty conservative value. In 2.6, an administrator can adjust this value as high as 10,000. Additionally, if you are willing to risk performance consequences, a system administrator can also adjust this even higher via AtoM's configuration files. See:
Try setting this value higher, or even all the  way to 10,000. I'm hoping this will resolve the focus issue that you've described. Also, if it doesn't seem to have a noticeable effect immediately, you may want to clear your application cache, and restart PHP-FPM

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

r.ruti...@docuteam.ch

Sep 18, 2020, 3:09:29 AM9/18/20
to AtoM Users
Thanks a lot, Dan.
The customer is using AtoM 2.5.3. If I understand correctly, there is absolute no way to change the paging here, not even by a "hack", and we would have to upgrade to 2.6.?
Cheers, Roger

Dan Gillean

Sep 18, 2020, 11:54:00 AM9/18/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Roger,

If you want to experiment with local workarounds, I would suggest that you play with this value here - this is where the 50 items pager limit is hardcoded in 2.5.x:
I suspect that if you make this value too big, you may run into other issues (for example, I believe that Elasticsearch has its own node limits), but hopefully you can try adjusting this, say to 1,000, and address your immediate client needs until you can upgrade.

Make sure you restart services, and more importantly, that you also clear the browser cache before testing, since this is JavaScript executed on the client side.

Let us know how it goes!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Dan Gillean

Sep 18, 2020, 11:57:18 AM9/18/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
PS: If you are interested in learning more about the history of this issue, ways in which we have tried to address it, and further work that could be done to improve remaining issues, please see this Wishlist ticket:
I have attached a detailed summary of the issue and history so far that may be of interest.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.