Upload finding aid that it is no pdf

Alejandra A.

Aug 28, 2023, 2:59:26 PM8/28/23
to AtoM Users
Hello, my name is Alejandra, I'm writing from Argentina, I work at the National Archives.
I wanted to know if it's possible to upload a finding aid that isn't a pdf file (I'd like to upload an xlsx file instead).
I've searched previous posts but haven't found anything, sorry if this has already been answered.
Thank you very much!

Dan Gillean

Aug 28, 2023, 3:30:56 PM8/28/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alejandra,

At this time, only PDF files can be uploaded and used as finding aids in AtoM. It will require some local code changes to allow for other file types.

I'm not a developer but the place to start looking and making changes would likely be in this file:
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Alejandra A.

Aug 28, 2023, 3:36:52 PM8/28/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Dan! I will pass this on to our developer.
Sorry to bother you again, is there any advantage to uploading it as a pdf?
(Just to be sure before making any changes)
Thanks!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/CAC1FhZLMH%3DsvCYvPictNWjjx-Taa3dDBAawDqRF1KnqxQEu-XA%40mail.gmail.com.

Dan Gillean

Aug 28, 2023, 3:53:44 PM8/28/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again Alejandra,

Off the top of my head:

One advantage that your developer will likely see while examining the link above is that AtoM has a function to extract the text layer from a PDF, so that it can be added to the search index. So, when you use a PDF for your finding aids, you can perform searches on the text in the finding aid. AtoM even has a filter in the advanced search panel that will allow a search to be limited to the text in a digital object such as a PDF. This functionality may be very difficult to implement for XLSX files.

Another advantage is that most browsers support the display of PDFs, meaning that no local download is required to view the PDF. However, if you decide to make modifications to use XLSX files instead, then a) a user would have to download them to be able to view the contents, and b) not everyone will have an application that can read XLSX files, meaning not all of your users will be able to use the file even if they can download it.

Finally, keep in mind that if you make local development changes to support XLSX finding aids, you will need to maintain this customization going forward - meaning you will need ongoing support from your developers, to patch it if security issues are found in the code or any of its dependencies; to update it and reapply it after upgrades, etc.

There may be more, but that's what I can think of for now.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Alejandra A.

Aug 29, 2023, 9:57:59 AM8/29/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much, this is very helpful!

maxi...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2023, 2:04:44 PM8/29/23
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan, my name is maxi, i'm software developer from Argentina and i work at the National Archives too. i'm watching the code from our version of AtoM (2.6) and i can't find the class you name ("QubitFindingAid"). How we can resolve this kind of problem? Do you have idea? Thank you for you support.

maxi...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2023, 2:07:01 PM8/29/23
to AtoM Users
I send you a picture

El lunes, 28 de agosto de 2023 a las 16:30:56 UTC-3, Dan Gillean escribió:
server_atom.jpg

Dan Gillean

Aug 29, 2023, 2:37:41 PM8/29/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maxi,

It looks like this file was a new addition to reorganize the code, introduced in 2.7. I have traced the change to this commit, so you can see all the changes that were made, and where code used to live:
So, unfortunately, I can't point you to a single file that replaces this exactly in earlier versions, but hopefully you can use this commit to compare 2.6 to 2.7. Keep in mind that there have been other commits since that have further added to or modified finding aid related code, especially a refactor to the file I linked previously in December of 2021 - for all commits on this file, see:
This is also what I meant in my last email to Alejandra about needing a developer to do maintenance for future releases if you do custom development. AtoM's code will continue to change and evolve, meaning with each new release you will have to review your custom code, and possibly update it to make it work with the most recent changes in AtoM's major releases before you can upgrade.

In general, if you are considering doing development, I STRONGLY encourage you to do so against the latest code, which we always keep in the qa/2.x branch of our code repository during development between releases. If you begin your development against 2.6, you can see that you will already need to make major changes when your organization wants to upgrade to 2.7 or later!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

maximiliano franco

Aug 29, 2023, 2:56:58 PM8/29/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thank you soo much Dan. I'm new in this type of development so i'm trying to understand the changes i need to do. If i don't understand you the comments i see in https://github.com/artefactual/atom/commit/e624993560733bc04dbc40c6e35d547d387225b are the changes i need to do to get what i need. If i'm wrong notify me. Again thank you for your support. Cheers

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/CAC1FhZ%2BDDjvbCSAVkq64V3_%2BbpFOKH5UcnBQ9AJteHvXKD%3DW2Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Dan Gillean

Aug 30, 2023, 8:52:43 AM8/30/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maxi,

I am saying that yes, you are right, it seems this file was not in 2.6 - it was added for the 2.7 release, along with a LOT of other changes (shown in the link I sent you) to how finding aids are managed.

For this reason, if you are going to do custom development for finding aid upload, I strongly encourage you to do it against the latest release, and not 2.6. When your institution wants to use your custom work, they will upgrade to the latest version you have developed against.

If you do your development based on the 2.6 release you are using currently, then when your organization wants to upgrade to 2.7 or later, your custom code will break (because as you can see, everything for finding aids changes between 2.6 and 2.7). Better to future proof it now and work on the latest version!

A quick overview of how we manage development branches in our AtoM GitHub code repository:

The latest version of the code is always in the qa/2.x branch. This is our main development branch, and includes recently developed work that may or may not be tested yet. Generally, whatever is included here will be part of what is in the next major release (i.e. 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, etc).

For each release, we create a stable branch, such as:
When we are preparing for a release, we create one of these branches for it. Only commits that have been tested and verified are added, so these branches are generally considered stable and ready for use by organizations in production. The first major release (for example, 2.7) as well as any minor releases for that version (2.7.1, 2.7.2, 2.7.3, etc) will be created from these stable branches.

The latest stable release of AtoM is version 2.7.3:
Unless we discover any security issues or major bugs we need to patch, the next release will likely be version 2.8. So: At this time, the stable/2.7.x branch includes everything in 2.7.3 but no more, while the qa/2.x branch includes everything in 2.7.3 and earlier, AND any additional work that has been done in preparation for the 2.8 release.

Based on this announcement from our Maintainer team, they are currently planning for the 2.8 release before the end of 2023, meaning fairly soon.

For these reasons, if you are doing new development it is wise to work with the latest code, so it will be ready for 2.8 (or at least 2.7!). Otherwise, the work will need to be redone when your organization wants to upgrade to a newer version.

Finally, some development resources for AtoM, in case you have not found them:

We have a number of resources on our wiki, here:
You can learn more about the Symfony 1.x PHP framework that AtoM was built with in their legacy documentation, here:
We also have entity relationship diagrams of AtoM's database schema on our wiki - you can see the latest version here:
Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager