Two AtoMs instances

Carolina Sacramento

Mar 2, 2023, 12:03:30 PM3/2/23
to AtoM Users
Hello,

Hope everyone is ok and healthy!

I have questions about two AtoM installations on the same server:

Are there any restrictions, impacts on performance, or other known issues when using this setting?

Did anybody experience this situation (one server for two AtoM instances)?

Thanks in advance.

Carolina Sacramento
Oswaldo Cruz Foundation | Brazil

Dan Gillean

Mar 2, 2023, 3:00:18 PM3/2/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carolina,

I will ask our system administrators if they have further suggestions, but will start by listing some of the more obvious / basic things to be aware of:

First, it will be important to make sure that each AtoM instance will have enough system resources. As noted in our Technical Requirements documentation, we recommend the following as minimum targets for a production system:
  • Processor: 2 vCPUs @ 2.3GHz
  • Memory: 7GB
  • Disk space (processing): 50GB at a minimum for AtoM’s core stack plus more storage would be required for supporting any substantial number of digital objects.
I think that you will likely be best served by installing each AtoM instance in its own VM, so that resource management can be scaled as needed, and so there are not conflicts in file paths, dependencies, etc.

That is my second reminder: make sure that you are using unique names, IP addresses, and paths when configuring various elements of each AtoM instance. You might want to call them atom-1 and atom-2, or atom-dev and atom-prod, or similar - and then consistenly use these names throughout the installation process (for example, for the MySQL database name, the Nginx configuration file name, the Elastisearch index name, etc.). You'll need to make sure that IP addresses and ports used don't conflict as well.

In general, if you are avoiding conflicts and providing each instance with enough resources - and in particular, if you are using VMs to manage each instance - then having more than 1 AtoM instance on a single server shouldn't inherently be a problem.

I will see if our Ops team has any further suggestions or warnings to pass on.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Dan Gillean

Mar 2, 2023, 3:18:18 PM3/2/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

A couple more suggestions from our system administrators:
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Carolina Sacramento

Mar 14, 2023, 3:08:53 PM3/14/23
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your explanations. They were helpful and clarifying.

I'm very sorry for the delay in replying.

Cheers,
Carolina