Phase 2 OAI-PMH development work - call for collaborators

Vicky Phillips

Jul 2, 2019, 9:18:22 AM7/2/19
to AtoM Users

Dear All,

You may be aware that a number of UK institutions pooled resources together to fund development of the OAI-PMH functionality within AtoM. Jenny Mitcham who was working for the Borthwick Institute for Archives, University of York, led the first phase of this work and has blogged about it here

As she notes this initial phase did not resolve all the issues, and as a result we are looking at Phase 2 of development work.  After discussions with those involved in Phase 1 of the development work and Artefactual here is the work we are looking to do…

1.       OAI-PMH – Expose new records (at any level of description) to the harvester

1.1.    Change getUpdatedRecords to use SQL rather than the object relational model (ORM)

1.2.    Add ability to glean, using SQL, most recently updated child even when querying for top-level information objects

1.3.    Implement in OAI plugin and test

2.       Alert the harvester to which records have been deleted, both for EAD and for the existing DC harvesting functionality

2.1.    AtoM currently retains no history of deleted objects, so adding this functionality will require significant changes to the way AtoM “deletes” resources.

This work will ensure that the OAI-PMH is kept up-to-date and in synch with the descriptions in the AtoM interface. We have received a quote from Artefactual for this work and are now looking to other institutions to work collaboratively with us on this and to help fund the development.  If you would like to work with us on this or require further information then please get in touch.

Vicky Phillips

Digital Standards Manager,

National Library of Wales

vicky.p...@llgc.org.uk