Import list of terms: subject and places

Pohle, Julia

Jan 11, 2010, 8:26:35 AM1/11/10
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Hi everybody,

I have a question concerning the taxonomy, in particular the list of subjects and places.

I have seen that version 1.0.8 allows hierarchical structuring of terms, which is quite useful for our purposes. Thank you for that!

Until now, we have not integrated a complete list of subjects and places, but just added certain terms when we needed them as access points to a description.

But instead of continuing like this, I would like to integrate at once the whole list of terms which we would like to use as access points. Since the terms used at UNESCO are fixed by an official UNESCO Thesaurus, which is hierarchically structured as well, we would like to automatically import this list into the AtoM taxonomy. The manual integration (typing one after another) would cost too much time since we have a list of several hundred subjects on three levels, emerging from only five terms on the first level - and the same for the list of places.

Therefore my question is: how can I integrate an already existing and hierarchical structured list of terms (in xml format)? I could not find the respective table in the Sql database.

Thanks for your help,

Julia

Julia Pohle

Archives and Records Management Unit

UNESCO

7, place de Fontenoy

75352 Paris 07 SP France

Tel: 0033-1-45681955

Email: j.p...@unesco.org

Peter Van Garderen

Jan 11, 2010, 5:24:11 PM1/11/10
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear Julia,

The issue of importing/exporting thesauri has in fact been raised during a
recent discussion of the release 1.1 development schedule with the ICA-AtoM
Steering Committee.

This feature is currently not on the release 1.1 development schedule but it may
be critical enough to yet be added, along with a corresponding delay in the 1.1
release date, which would then likely bump from April 4 to May 3.

If so, we will base the Thesauri import/export structure on an XML mapping of
the W3C SKOS standard. See, http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/NOTE-skos-primer-20090818/

By the way, in the existing SQL database, the thesauri terms are stored in the
q_terms and q_terms_i18n (all translated content) tables.

Best regards,

--peter

Peter Van Garderen
Software Release Manager, ICA-AtoM Project
President, Artefactual Systems Inc.

Julia Pohle

Jan 12, 2010, 9:27:16 AM1/12/10
to ICA-AtoM Users
Dear Peter,

Thank you very much for your answer. It is good to know that the
Steering Committee is discussing about a feature to import thesauri.
For UNESCO, it would actually be a quite helpful function, but for
other users, it might not justify the delay of one month for the 1.1
release date.

If you decide against the implementation, it could already be a great
help if in 1.1 the way to add new terms could be facilitated.
For example, at the moment it is possible to add a “Broad term” for
every term, but there is no way to directly add lower levels when
creating a new term (as it is possible for the creation of child
levels for archival descriptions since 1.0.8).

An example: When creating the subject “Educational sciences and
environment”, I can link it with the Broad term “Education”. But it
would be great if I could as well directly add child terms as
“Educational environment”, “Educational Sciences” and “Learning” etc.
etc. Of course, I still would have to edit each of these terms if I
wish to create further child levels or add further information. But at
least for the lowest level of terms, this feature would help to save
time.

A similar problem exists for the “related terms”: at the moment, you
can add just one related term at once and have to save the entry
before being able to add a new related term. This costs a lot of time
if you have 2 or even more related terms. It would be easy to have
several lines for related terms from the beginning.

Do you think there might be a solution for this, in case you decide
against the feature to import thesauri?

Thank you very much
Julia

On 11 jan, 23:24, Peter Van Garderen <pe...@artefactual.com> wrote:
> Dear Julia,
>
> The issue of importing/exporting thesauri has in fact been raised during a
> recent discussion of the release 1.1 development schedule with the ICA-AtoM
> Steering Committee.
>
> This feature is currently not on the release 1.1 development schedule but it may
> be critical enough to yet be added, along with a corresponding delay in the 1.1
> release date, which would then likely bump from April 4 to May 3.
>
> If so, we will base the Thesauri import/export structure on an XML mapping of

> the W3C SKOS standard. See,http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/NOTE-skos-primer-20090818/

> > Email: j.po...@unesco.org

David Juhasz

Jan 12, 2010, 12:26:20 PM1/12/10
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear Julia,

Thank you for your great suggestions! I've created two new issues (for
Release 1.1) based on your feedback:
http://code.google.com/p/qubit-toolkit/issues/detail?id=1236
http://code.google.com/p/qubit-toolkit/issues/detail?id=1237

Regards,

David Juhasz,
Software Engineer, Artefactual Systems Inc.
http://www.artefactual.com | P: 604.527.2056 | F: 604.521.2059

Tatiana Canelhas

Dec 12, 2019, 10:46:22 AM12/12/19
to AtoM Users
Hi group,

in version 2.5, how do we import a list a subjects?

Thanks,
Tatiana Canelhas

Dan Gillean

Dec 12, 2019, 10:53:09 AM12/12/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Tatiana,

At this point we still don't have a CSV import for terms, so to import them, you need a SKOS file. It can be serialized in many different ways - RDF XML, n3, Turtle, etc - but you would use the SKOS import to add terms to a taxonomy. See:
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.