Elasticsearch erro: Elastica\Exception\ClientException

Guilherme de Oliveira

Oct 25, 2019, 9:44:18 AM10/25/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

These past days i'm getting this elastic error very often. the service stops working and even though restarting it solves the problem i can't find the cause of the problem. Is anyone having this problem as well?  Any help would be appreciated.

thank you

Dan Gillean

Oct 25, 2019, 10:43:00 AM10/25/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Guilherme,

I recently posted some suggestions for a very similar issue here:
Please start with these suggestions - specifically, trying to determine if it is a memory issue, as it commonly is with Elasticsearch issues - and let us know what you find. If nothing in here helps you to identify and/or solve the issue, please provide us with more information about your installation environment and what you've tried, as per the questions found at the top of the second thread.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Message has been deleted

Dan Gillean

Nov 14, 2019, 3:21:36 PM11/14/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

I have asked one of our developers if they have a specific recommendation for the jvm heap size, and was told this:

"You can try setting the JVM heap size, but we have never had any luck with actually reducing the memory requirements of ES.   Increasing the memory available to ES to 2GB or more has always been the better solution in our experience."

I'd actually recommend at 4GB if possible, especially during the installation and configuration steps, as ES uses a lot of memory during setup. If you do want to look into adjusting JVM heap size, be sure to consult the ES documentation:

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 8:39 AM <pinoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
i have the same problem. I can't find the solution. Dan, the appropriate setting of jvm heap size can to be a solution?
Thanks

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 9:44 AM Guilherme de Oliveira <guil...@ufv.br> wrote:
Hi,

These past days i'm getting this elastic error very often. the service stops working and even though restarting it solves the problem i can't find the cause of the problem. Is anyone having this problem as well?  Any help would be appreciated.

thank you

Message has been deleted

Dan Gillean

Nov 15, 2019, 10:51:46 AM11/15/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Guiseppe,

Ideally your AtoM server should have at least 4GB of RAM - fixing that tends to resolve the vast majority of issues we have seen with Elasticsearch crashing. As noted in our Requirements documentation, we recommend the following as target minimums for a production-ready environment:
  • Processor: 2 vCPUs @ 2.3GHz
  • Memory: 7GB
  • Disk space (processing): 50GB at a minimum for AtoM’s core stack plus more storage would be required for supporting any substantial number of digital objects.
If you do want to keep trying to adjust Elasticsearch itself, including the default jvm HEAP size, I've found a few more useful articles on tuning ES:
There is also this StackOverflow thread on adjusting heap size:
Note that you WILL run into issues if you set the heap size higher than your total available memory! Ideally, it should be about half of all available memory on the server.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 3:56 PM Giuseppe Romano <pinoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi thanks for the answer
I have try to increase available memory to ES to 2gb but without successfully. After some minutes the ES service go to shutdown without any reason. My solution is test ES service using CRON every minute and when the service is down is restarted. This is a workaround. This solution is called "BARBATRUCCO" in italy, have you other suggest?
Thanks Dan
have a nice day

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/CAC1FhZJ84yPi9W4kt52vvRZU29xPMoGH-ZHFaQ85j0p5RD4o_g%40mail.gmail.com.

Message has been deleted