URL - After changing Title or Accession Number

colle...@cumberlandmuseum.ca

Aug 29, 2019, 12:43:17 PM8/29/19
to AtoM Users
Hello!

I know that when the content in a title proper field in archival description or an accession number in the accession area are changed that the changes do not appear in the URL for that record. I am wondering if this causes any internal issues when it comes to exporting/importing data or any other internal procedures down the line? or if it is simply an aesthetic thing? Does the URL and the fields need to match exactly? It doesn't seem like it would matter but thought i would check!

Thanks in advance!
-Melissa

Dan Gillean

Aug 29, 2019, 1:16:43 PM8/29/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Melissa,

The URL is not a factor in any matching or other behaviors for import or export. I can't think of any consequences of having a URL that doesn't match an edited title or accession number.

That said, if you do want to make your URL slugs match the metadata, there are a couple ways you can do so.

First, for descriptions, you can make edits via the user interface, using the Rename module. See:
Additionally, you can use the command-line task to regenerate slugs with the --delete option if you want existing slugs to be updated. Without the --delete option, the task will only generate slugs where they are missing, but when used, all existing slugs for AtoM's core entities will be discarded, and new ones will be generated. The task will respect other user settings such as from what element to derive the slug for descriptions (i.e. title, identifier, or some version of the reference code - docs here), and whether to use the more permissive slug generation option (docs here). You can read more about the slug regeneration task in the Admin manual, here:
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

colle...@cumberlandmuseum.ca

Aug 29, 2019, 4:08:54 PM8/29/19
to AtoM Users
Thanks so much Dan!
A follow up to that question ... does the Identifier (in the description) and the Accession number in the accession area need to be the same?
-Melissa
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com.

Dan Gillean

Aug 29, 2019, 4:14:20 PM8/29/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Melissa,

Nope! You can relate an existing accesison record to an existing description, even if their identifiers are completely different. Many institutions use a different scheme for providing description identifiers and accession numbers, and we want to support that workflow.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/4d4f4a27-a606-41d7-b14b-6dc4b33c0117%40googlegroups.com.

colle...@cumberlandmuseum.ca

Feb 28, 2020, 2:01:28 PM2/28/20
to AtoM Users
Hey! Just to follow up with this question- the accession number and identifier not being the same will not effect any potential importing/exporting down the line? I know sometimes these fields  are  used to match or link records?

Thanks again!

Dan Gillean

Mar 2, 2020, 10:43:38 AM3/2/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi again,

Title, identifier, and repository are used as one of the possible matching criteria used for importing a CSV as an update to existing descriptions. However, I can't think of a case where identifier is used to finding a matching accession number, or vice versa, so I think you'll be fine!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.