Accessible PDF

HEATHER BIDZINSKI

Jun 4, 2021, 9:02:49 AM6/4/21
to AtoM Users
Hello learned AtoM users and creators!
I was wondering if anyone knows whether AtoM can be configured to generate accessible PDFs when creating finding aids?
Cheers!
Heather

Dan Gillean

Jun 4, 2021, 1:34:03 PM6/4/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Heather,

Unfortunately at this time, AtoM does not have an option to generate accessible PDFs. Doing further accessibility focused development so that all elements of AtoM's public-facing front end can meet or exceed WCAG 2.1 AA-level requirements is high on our wishlist, and we have some upcoming development scheduled that should allow us to address some of the known issues with our web templates. However, at this time we have no work scheduled that is particularly focused on improving the accessibility of AtoM's PDF finding aids.

As you may know, we currently rely on our community for major enhancements and feature development work, either in the form of code contributions or development sponsorship. You can learn more about the history of the AtoM project, as well as how we currently maintain and develop AtoM, here:
If you or others at your institution have development skills and would like to contribute any enhancements back to the public project, we have some developer resources on our wiki here:
If your institution might be interested in sponsoring development work in this area, please feel free to contact Artefactual off-list (info [at] artefactual [dot] com) and we would be happy to discuss requirements and prepare estimates for you.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.