Moving form Axiell Calm to AtoM

Donna Maguire

Jan 5, 2023, 11:54:50 AM1/5/23
to AtoM Users
HI dose anyone have experience of moving their database over to AtoM form Calm and would you be willing to let me know how you got on.

thanks

donna Maguire
SCA

Dan Gillean

Jan 5, 2023, 1:03:03 PM1/5/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Donna,

I've tried to compile my general recommendations for AtoM migrations in the following slide deck:
We find CSVs to be the most flexible way to migrate data, so if you can get CSV exports from CALM, you can then perform some data cleanup either manually, or using a spreadsheet tool like LibreOffice Calc, or else with a tool like OpenRefine.

Two other slide decks that might help generally - one on how AtoM CSV templates should be filled in for archival descriptions, and the other full of general tips, tricks, and gotchas about AtoM:
Our CSV templates can be found in AtoM's code (at lib/task/import/example), and we also keep copies on our wiki, here:
We include a couple sample rows in these templates that list the name and number of the field from the corresponding standard to which they relate, to help you better understand how the CSV is organized. You can import these example rows to see exactly where and how they will appear in AtoM once uploaded. This can be very helpful in working out how to map your data in CALM to what AtoM expects.

There are a couple older threads in the forum that mention CALM migrations. One of them also includes a number of general links about OpenRefine, which is also mentioned in the Data Migration slides linked above. See:
Hope this helps!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Mark Smith

Jan 6, 2023, 6:53:22 AM1/6/23
to AtoM Users
Hi Donna,

We did exactly this at the Shetland Archives a few years ago.  CSVs exported from CALM then cleaned up manually using LibreOffice Calc was the method we used.  We did it fond by fond, starting with the smallest ones first until we got better at it.  The work was painstaking, and slow - there were about 100,000 CALM records and, working on it pretty much all the time, the export took me about a year and a half.  It was 100% worth it, though.  AtoM is far superior to CALM, in the opinion of the three archive staff who work here, and, after months of going through spreadsheets I now know the catalogue far better than I did before.

Do feel free to get in touch if there's anything I can help with.  My email is mark....@shetlandamenity.org

Mark