I think we might need more information to be able to provide any suggestions. To configure your site to use SSL, you will need an SSL certificate from a Certificate Authority. There are paid Authorities, and there is also Let's Encrypt
, which is a free, automated, and open Certificate Authority. Once you have the cert(s), you will need to make some modifications to your web server - but it sounds like perhaps you have already done this?
in the user forum from last week has some suggestions on setting up with Let's Encrypt, and troubleshooting webserver configuration - however, the thread relates primarily to Nginx as the webserver, not Apache, so you will likely have to make modifications. We at Artefactual do not test or develop using Apache as the webserver, so we will be unable to provide guidance on this particular matter.
If you've gotten everything working from a webserver and certificate point of view, then there may not be anything else you need to do! I would recommend doublechecking the Base URL settings in AtoM (docs here
) to make sure your base URL uses https and not just http. Note as well that, if you are linking to external digital objects (for example, to add an image to your homepage, etc) and the external link is NOT
also https, then you may get a mixed content warning on your homepage.
If you are still having issues, can you please provide more specifics about the nature of the issue, and about your AtoM site? For example:
- What version of AtoM do you have installed?
- You mentioned using Apache as your webserver. Have you made any other changes from our recommended installation instructions? If yes, please tell us more.
- Are you using Let's Encrypt, or have you purchased from a Certificate Authority, or otherwise?
- Were you issued a single cert, or did you have to assemble your certificate from a mix of files (e.g. local and intermediate)?
- Are there any relevant error messages in your webserver's error log? If so, please share them with us.
Hopefully with more information about your environment and issues you are encountering, we can provide further suggestions.