Beta release 1.0.8 and beyond

Peter Van Garderen

Jun 2, 2009, 2:33:45 PM6/2/09
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear ICA-AtoM Community,

Yesterday, we posted the ICA-AtoM 1.0.7 beta release. I am pleased to
announce today that the ICA Executive Board and ICA-AtoM Steering Committee
have now approved a contract for Artefactual Systems to continue with
further ICA-AtoM development. This work will be divided into two release
cycles: 1.0.8 beta and release 1.1.

Release 1.0.8 beta is due in October 2009, in time for the ICA-CITRA meeting
in Malta the following month. ICA-AtoM will then formally be out of beta
with release 1.1, which is due in March 2010.

The ICA-Atom Steering Committee has decided that the main focus of these
next two development rounds will be to support comprehensive standards
compliance for archival description and deliver a complete, stable and
scalable core application. Development after release 1.1 will focus on
adding new or improved add-on modules (e.g. accessioning, enhanced search,
researcher module).

Release 1.0.8 beta (October 2009)
=================================
* ISAAR Relations: provide the ability to define hierarchical, temporal,
family and associative relationships between authority records to complete
ICA-ISAAR compliance

* Thesauri: implement ISO standards for thesauri controlled vocabularies,
namely support for hierarchical, equivalence and associative relationships
between taxonomy terms

* ICA-ISDF: implement support for the ICA standard for describing functions

* EAC: support for the import/export of authority records using the EAC XML
schema

* XML Import/Export: test and improve the speed of XML import, eliminate
bottlenecks, optimize code, de-bug existing EAD mapping, and provide
administrative interface to review and approve newly imported EAD, EAC or
OAI harvested archival descriptions

* Large data-set usability: improve the scalability of user interface
controls that are currently slowing down the application when they are

Release 1.1 (March 2010)
========================
* Data-entry validation: enforce ICA standards and principles in the
data-entry forms, apply data-entry validation to all forms (e.g. check to
see that the user has entered data in the expected format before attempting
to save the data)

* Access control list (permissions): allow for more detailed permissions; 1.
restrict translator' role to a specific language for a specific user, 2.
restrict 'editor' privileges to a specific taxonomy or authority record, 3.
restrict 'contributor' privileges to a specific archival institution. 4.
restrict access to individual digital objects

* Duplicate record feature: create a copy of an existing record which can be
used as a template for a new record to help with repetitive/bulk data-entry
tasks

* Print screen: provide option to cleanly print page content

* Performance testing and optimization: import large sets of records into
ICA-AtoM and test and optimize the database and search index response.
Eliminate application bottlenecks.

Of course, we will also continue working on the existing list of bug fixes
and enhancements during this period and helping the ICA to support the
ICA-AtoM community.

While Artefactual Systems will be leading the core development effort, we
encourage any person or institution that has an interest in seeing ICA-AtoM
evolve and succeed to contribute to the project.

There are many ways to get involved, including beta-testing, updating the
documentation wiki, translation, answering questions in the discussion list,
starting a local or national user group in your own language, demonstrating
the application to interested colleagues, contributing code patches,
developing new features or financially sponsoring additional development
work.

Oh...you can also join the ICA-AtoM Facebook fan club that was started by
some British Columbian (Canada) archivists during a recent workshop :-)
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=97086975830

The initial success of the ICA-AtoM project is due to the fantastic response
by a growing, international network of sponsors, beta testers and early
implementers. We thank all of you for your interest and support. I have had
the life-changing honour to travel to every continent (except for Antartica)
in the past year to meet with many of you. The success of ICA-AtoM beyond
this intial beta phase will be to grow the voice and tools of this community
of users, developers and sponsors; to ensure that ICA-AtoM fulfills its
promise to bloom into a comprehensive, cutting-edge technology platform that
supports and enhances the daily work of archivists for many years to come.

Best wishes,

--peter

-----------------------------
Peter Van Garderen,
Software Release Manager,
ICA-AtoM Project
http://ica-atom.org
-----------------------------
President/Consultant,
Artefactual Systems Inc.
http://artefactual.com
-----------------------------

Salvatore Vassallo

Jun 3, 2009, 9:20:09 AM6/3/09
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dear Peter,

* EAC: support for the import/export of authority records using the EAC XML
schema

are you planning to support the old EAC 1 beta or the new EAC that Daniel Pitti and others are going to release (I hope as soon as possibile :-))  ?

Best
Salvatore

Peter Van Garderen

Jun 3, 2009, 10:29:03 AM6/3/09
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Salvatore,

We definitely want to use the new EAC revision. However, it is difficult to
get more information about its status. Does anyone on this list have any
more information about the EAC revision?

Cheers,

--peter

Maggie Shapley

Jun 3, 2009, 11:37:24 PM6/3/09
to ICA-AtoM Users
Peter

This is indeed good news. Looking forward to new developments.

Maggie Shapley
> some British Columbian (Canada) archivists during a recent workshop :-)http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=97086975830
>
> The initial success of the ICA-AtoM project is due to the fantastic response
> by a growing, international network of sponsors, beta testers and early
> implementers. We thank all of you for your interest and support. I have had
> the life-changing honour to travel to every continent (except for Antartica)
> in the past year to meet with many of you. The success of ICA-AtoM beyond
> this intial beta phase will be to grow the voice and tools of this community
> of users, developers and sponsors; to ensure that ICA-AtoM fulfills its
> promise to bloom into a comprehensive, cutting-edge technology platform that
> supports and enhances the daily work of archivists for many years to come.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> --peter
>
> -----------------------------
> Peter Van Garderen,
> Software Release Manager,
> ICA-AtoM Projecthttp://ica-atom.org

Teo

Aug 2, 2009, 8:31:38 AM8/2/09
to ICA-AtoM Users
Very good!

I hope the roadmap of the project will not be delayed, so my company
will be able to start using ica-catom before the end of the year..

Thanks

Matteo
http://www.redaelli.org/matteo/