Text redaction in a text image (JPEG) in AtoM

Zandile Myeka

Aug 10, 2022, 4:23:26 AM8/10/22
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Is it possible to redact text in a JPEG image in AtoM?
If possible or if you may know of an app that I can use with AtoM to redact text in a document as shown in the screenshot below, please let me know.

image.png

Kindest regards,
Zandile Myeka

Dan Gillean

Aug 10, 2022, 3:37:15 PM8/10/22
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Zandile,

I don't personally know of any software that can help with redaction directly, but there are perhaps ways to do this yourself, manually.

First, if the underlying master digital object has a text layer (like a PDF or Word document, for example), then be aware that this text will be indexed and therefore searchable in AtoM. In that case, you may want to properly redact the master before uploading it - i.e. edit it to delete parts of the text layer using a PDF editor or similar. Alternatively, if you did not want to alter the original upload, you could potentially use SQL in AtoM to edit the text layer - but this would need to be manually repeated every time that you reindex your site, so it is not an ideal solution, as you could forget and accidentally expose sensitive information.

If you just want to black out parts of the reference display JPG derivative shown to users in the user interface you can download it, use any image editing program (like MS Paint, etc) to add black boxes over the text you want to hide, and then replace the current derivative with your own.

To download the reference image: right click on it in AtoM, select "View image in a new tab" (or similar, depending on your browser), and then in the new tab, right-click again and Save As.

Now you can use a local program to edit the image, redacting what you want.

To upload your own redacted reference image to replace the one currently used in AtoM, see:
I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Zandile Myeka

Aug 12, 2022, 8:57:21 AM8/12/22
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. We're exploring these options.

Kind regards,
Zandile