Base de dados do atom 2.0.1

rpm....@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2014, 1:32:39 PM9/2/14
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Caros colegas gostaria de saber se as versões  do ICA-AtoM 1.3.1 e a 2.0.1 rodam, com certeza, no ORACLE.

Tatiana Canelhas

Aug 11, 2020, 8:21:37 PM8/11/20
to AtoM Users
Does it?

Can we use Oracle DB for AtoM? Is it possible?

Thanks,
Tatiana Canelhas

Dan Gillean

Aug 12, 2020, 1:29:13 PM8/12/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Tatiana,

I will start by saying that I know very little about Oracle. However, I would say the answer is probably no, especially for more recent versions of AtoM.

As you know, the PHP framework used to build AtoM (Symfony 1) is very outdated - and it included an ORM (Propel 1) for abstracting the interactions with the database that, as AtoM has grown, has become equally problematic and too slow to scale as needed. To address some performance issues in later versions of AtoM, we have in places bypassed the ORM entirely, and used raw SQL in the code to access the database directly.

Since query languages often vary between different databases (as do database default behaviors, collation formats, etc) I suspect that Oracle would not work out of the box. In fact, with the 2.6 release, we are seeing some cases of community-maintained MySQL forks (such as MariaDB) also not working, because of the changes in MySQL8 that are not yet supported in MariaDB's latest versions, or where the MariaDB defaults differ from those in MySQL. I would guess the same to be true for Oracle here.

Long term (AtoM 3 and on), we can hopefully return to a level of abstraction where it's possible to swap in different data stores. For AtoM2 as it currently exists, I believe that the database and the code have become too tightly coupled for substitutions at this point, without analysis and significant code changes.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Tatiana Canelhas

Aug 12, 2020, 2:09:48 PM8/12/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dan, thanks for your reply.

Plus, i think its import to maintain focus on open sources programs, since we care for long term preservation right?

Thanks again,
Tati

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/CAC1FhZKiCv%3DrcnAeieJU_775nqsdVK0-8OaEVV4Qkg5fzxYrVQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Dan Gillean

Aug 12, 2020, 2:16:35 PM8/12/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Agreed! Ideally, future versions of AtoM will have enough abstraction that users can choose proprietary data stores if they want, but this will not be something ever included in the project out of the box, nor will it be something that Artefactual tests, maintains, and documents. Our focus will always be to default to openness wherever possible - not just open source tools and libraries in the code, but also open standards, open licences, etc.

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056