Issues with Rights in Descriptions

Joey Denton

Jan 23, 2017, 2:50:29 PM1/23/17
to AtoM Users
Hi All,

I've been exploring the PREMIS and Rights features today and have come across a few issues. Searched around and unless I missed it, didn't see any posts addressing quite what I'm having trouble with. Running 2.3.0 (and hosted by Artefactual with no customization and no access to command line).

Ok, first off - when I've added rights to a 'item'-level description linked with a digital object. Afterward, when I click 'Edit' on the rights, I get

Sorry, page not found
Did you type the URL correctly?
Did you follow a broken link?

Then, if I try to delete the rights, they disappear, but if I reload the page they are there again, so I can't figure out how to make the deletion permanent. I also noticed that the URL strands for the rights links for 'Edit' and 'Delete' have strange character combinations (for example: ec36.nw9g.3fhs in the slug area), so wondering if that might be part of the problem.

Second - I was interested in enabling the pop-up copyright statement before accessing master digital object files for anonymous browsers. I followed all of the steps in the documentation but it is not appearing. Instead I am still able to access the master file directly when browsing logged out. I'm using 'Display' for PREMIS, with Anonymous granted access to master files, and with a Conditional Display right added to the description.

Any ideas behind what's causing this? I can try and provide more detail if necessary.

Thanks!

Joey Denton

Dan Gillean

Jan 23, 2017, 4:26:51 PM1/23/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Joey,

Thanks for providing a lot of great detail in your post - it has helped give me an idea as to what the problem might be. Based on the characters you have reported in the slug, I'm wondering if perhaps you have encountered this bug:

Essentially, if you have changed the reference code separator in Admin > Settings > Global from a dash to a period, there's a known issue in the 2.3.0 release where this setting value is being accidentally used in slug generation. As periods are not recognized in slugs, you are then encountering a page not found error when trying to link.

We have a fix in the upcoming 2.3.1 release (which should be available this week! Or you can install from git right now), but just upgrading won't resolve existing places where periods have ended up in the slug table. Instead, we have made a script available. I've added the instructions on both the 2.3 and 2.3.1 release notes pages, and I will copy them here:

For users who have encountered errors when trying to use a period or other characters as the reference code separator:

This issue has been identified in #10276. If you have tried to use a period as a reference code separator and are experiencing issues, the 2.3.1 release will include a fix for this issue going forward. To resolve the current issues in your AtoM instance, we have prepared a script that can be run from the command-line. The script is available at:

Instructions on how to run the script locally

  1. Follow the link above and download the script. Place it somewhere accessible from the root directory of your AtoM installation.
  2. From AtoM's root directory, use the tools:run command to execute the script, like so:
  • php symfony tools:run path/to/location/of/10276-separator-fix.php

The script will replace any periods used with the default dash separator in the database, which should resolve page load errors.

You may want to re-index afterwards (php symfony search:populate) as well, and clear your application cache (php symfony cc) and your browser's cache. Let us know if that works!

Second - I was interested in enabling the pop-up copyright statement before accessing master digital object files for anonymous browsers. I followed all of the steps in the documentation but it is not appearing. Instead I am still able to access the master file directly when browsing logged out. I'm using 'Display' for PREMIS, with Anonymous granted access to master files, and with a Conditional Display right added to the description.

Interesting - I just tested the copyright pop-up in our 2.3.1 release candidate, and did not encounter issues. My first thought is: is your digital object uploaded locally, or is it a linked digital object from a URL? From a note at the end of the copyright pop-up documentation:

The copyright statment will only work when it is applied to digital objects that are uploaded locally - not to those linked via URL to an external web address! This is because the pop-up relates to the master digital object. When you upload locally, then the master digital object is stored in AtoM. When you link to an external digital object, AtoM will generate local derivatives (ie the reference display copy and the thumbnail), but the master is still external!

We suggest using a different (perhaps custom) Basis, and applying rights with the settings configured to deny access to the master digital object, if you wish to restrict access to external digital objects. You can also hide the source URL from the Digital object metadata area via the Visible elements module.

If that's not it, I might need more information, so I can try to reproduce. Type of digital object, maybe some screenshots, anything you think might help.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Joey Denton

Jan 24, 2017, 1:58:44 PM1/24/17
to AtoM Users
On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 3:26:51 PM UTC-6, Dan Gillean wrote:

Essentially, if you have changed the reference code separator in Admin > Settings > Global from a dash to a period, there's a known issue in the 2.3.0 release where this setting value is being accidentally used in slug generation. As periods are not recognized in slugs, you are then encountering a page not found error when trying to link.

We have a fix in the upcoming 2.3.1 release (which should be available this week! Or you can install from git right now), but just upgrading won't resolve existing places where periods have ended up in the slug table.

You may want to re-index afterwards (php symfony search:populate) as well, and clear your application cache (php symfony cc) and your browser's cache. Let us know if that works!

That was the problem! I've had the separator set to '.' for our site. I don't have access to command line so I can't say if those would resolve all the current errors, will just have to wait until 2.3.1 rolls out before adding any more.

[...]

I've been uploading files from my computer directly into AtoM using the 'Link Digital Object' option, so they are all local until uploaded and then hosted on our site (unless I'm misunderstanding..) Yesterday it was happening with .jpeg files. Today I tested it again with the '.' switched to '-' for the code separator when creating rights, used an excel file just in case it was the file type, and was still able to download it with no pop-up statement. I've attached screenshots that show all of my settings compared to the documentation here, as well as what the test looked like while logged in as 'Admin' and then what happened when I clicked on the digital object to download the file as an anonymous user.

Do you think the description template might have something to do with it? I'm using DACS, which I know is less common for AtoM users and I've seen a few issues in the past that were specific to that template.

Thanks for all your help!

Joey

Permissions 1.jpg
Permissions 2.jpg
Permissions 3.jpg
Test 1.jpg
Test 2.jpg

Dan Gillean

Jan 24, 2017, 4:07:18 PM1/24/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hello again Joey,

That was the problem! I've had the separator set to '.' for our site. I don't have access to command line so I can't say if those would resolve all the current errors, will just have to wait until 2.3.1 rolls out before adding any more.

As an Artefactual hosted client, I will get in touch with you off-list - we can run the cleanup script for you, and now that release candidate testing is finalized, we will be upgrading you to 2.3.1 in the near future.

I've been uploading files from my computer directly into AtoM using the 'Link Digital Object' option, so they are all local until uploaded and then hosted on our site (unless I'm misunderstanding..) Yesterday it was happening with .jpeg files. Today I tested it again with the '.' switched to '-' for the code separator when creating rights, used an excel file just in case it was the file type, and was still able to download it with no pop-up statement. I've attached screenshots that show all of my settings compared to the documentation here, as well as what the test looked like while logged in as 'Admin' and then what happened when I clicked on the digital object to download the file as an anonymous user.

Thanks for the screenshots - everything looks okay to me... It is possible that the pop-up might behave differently with something like an Excel file, which the browser will just immediately download instead of trying to display - but it definitely should have worked with the JPEGs. I'll follow up with you off-list about this as well.

Do you think the description template might have something to do with it? I'm using DACS, which I know is less common for AtoM users and I've seen a few issues in the past that were specific to that template.

Interesting - I will try to reproduce this locally with the DACS template - if so, I'll file a bug report and update this thread. We'll get to the bottom of this :)

Cheers,