editors cannot edit static pages ?

Elizabeth Thomson

Oct 10, 2017, 3:16:03 PM10/10/17
to AtoM Users
Hi,
The documentation here: https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.3/user-manual/administer/static-pages/#edit-static-page indicates that both administrator and editors can edit static pages.
However, on our system, and also in the AtoM demo system (https://demo.accesstomemory.org/) it seems that only an administrator can edit static pages. Is that right?

Many thanks.

Dan Gillean

Oct 10, 2017, 3:27:30 PM10/10/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Elizabeth,

I have just done a quick test in both 2.3 and 2.4 - it appears that you're correct. I will remove that erroneous information from the documentation - thank you for pointing it out.

As to whether or not this is a bug (rather than a mistake in the documentation), I'd love to hear further feedback from yourself and other members of the community. Do you think members of the Editor group *should* be able to edit static pages?

A couple of considerations here - looking at the user interface elements currently implemented, it should be possible for Editors to have edit permissions without giving them the ability to add new pages, or delete existing ones. They will not have access to the Admin menu, and we can hide the static page Delete button based on a permissions check.

However, one can also argue that this is a task that should be reserved for Admins - those who are already managing the configuration and presentation of the site. I'm thinking of multi-repository portal sites, for example - would you want all of your repository users making changes to the About page for the portal? Or is that better left to an administrator?

Thoughts welcome!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Elizabeth Thomson

Oct 10, 2017, 4:24:17 PM10/10/17
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,
Many thanks for your quick reply.
I will pass this information along to our folks here and ask them what they think.  We are a multi-repository set up so your specific concerns are very pertinent to us.
Thanks again!

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Elizabeth Thomson <elizabet...@mcgill.ca> wrote:
Hi,
The documentation here: https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.3/user-manual/administer/static-pages/#edit-static-page indicates that both administrator and editors can edit static pages.
However, on our system, and also in the AtoM demo system (https://demo.accesstomemory.org/) it seems that only an administrator can edit static pages. Is that right?

Many thanks.

maggie....@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2017, 6:47:15 PM10/10/17
to AtoM Users
Just to say that we're happy with how it is now - the static pages are rarely updated and if they are it's at Admin level.

Maggie

Elizabeth Thomson

Oct 16, 2017, 1:46:04 PM10/16/17
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,
Our folks agree that the current permissions are fine. I.e. only Admin users can edit static pages.
best regards,

Dan Gillean

Oct 16, 2017, 5:42:22 PM10/16/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Thanks for letting us know, Elizabeth. In the meantime, I've corrected the documentation.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.