504 gateway timeout when updating descriptions or publication status

Maryna Chernyavska

Jan 17, 2017, 4:38:36 PM1/17/17
to AtoM Users
Hi All,

I get 504 gateway timeout error when trying to update records (archival descriptions and authority records) or change their publication status via online interface (AtoM 2.3, php 5.3). When I go back, I see that the update was actually saved. Please note, these are not huge hyerarchical descriptions, and there are no digital objects attached to them.

Our IT tried to search log files and got this:

2017/01/10 21:07:46 [error] 22758#0: *126 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Warning:  require(/config/sfProjectConfiguration.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/sites/atom-2.3.0/vendor/symfony/lib/autoload/sfCoreAutoload.class.php on line 100

Also, he said that "I was able to enable debug mode, but nothing is ever written to the debug log."

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks in advance,
Maryna

Dan Gillean

Jan 17, 2017, 5:17:06 PM1/17/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Maryna,

First thing that occurs to me is that PHP 5.5+ is required for AtoM 2.3 - it's possible that the code is trying to use a PHP function that is not available in v5.3? can you try upgrading your PHP version, restarting services, and trying again?

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Maryna Chernyavska

Jan 17, 2017, 5:24:19 PM1/17/17
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

I'll ask our IT to upgrade php, however, we upgraded AtoM to the version 2.3 back in August, and everything was working fine until last week.

Thanks,
Maryna

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Maryna Chernyavska <cher...@ualberta.ca> wrote:
[...]

Dan Gillean

Jan 17, 2017, 5:34:20 PM1/17/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hmmm, well, let us know if this does resolve the issue or not. I would still like to figure out *why* the error is occurring, but there's some info below on how you could review these tips on how to change the default values in your nginx setup to avoid gateway timeouts:

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

David Juhasz

Jan 17, 2017, 6:28:52 PM1/17/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maryna,

The error message in your initial email is from January 10th.  Is that when the timeouts started as well, or are is it a more recent problem?

Also, I'd recommend checking your MySQL server CPU utilization to make sure it looks okay.  We did have some problems with timeouts with one of our AtoM sites sporadically and it usually occurred when the MySQL server CPU utilization was above 80%.  In that case one AtoM site was spawning some never ending MySQL queries that were eating up the CPU resources, and we had to manually kill the queries.  The problem went away after we upgraded the site to AtoM 2.3 in that case though.

Cheers,
David

--

David Juhasz
Director, AtoM Technical Services Artefactual Systems Inc. www.artefactual.com

Maryna Chernyavska

Jan 18, 2017, 12:37:46 PM1/18/17
to AtoM Users
Hi David,

January 10th is when the problem started and has been persistent since then.

PHP is now 5.5.9, and doesn't make any difference.

There is only one database on this server (our AtoM instance), and RAM is 8 GB.

Also, our IT tried this, and I don't know if you tells you anything:

This is interesting: I monitored the connection while doing that change status (Draft/Published) you suggested. The instant I submit the change it appears:

+-------+--------------+-----------+-----------------+---------+------+-------+------------------+
| Id    | User         | Host      | db              | Command | Time | State | Info             |
+-------+--------------+-----------+-----------------+---------+------+-------+------------------+
| 27258 | ukrfolk_atom | localhost | ukrfolk_atom230 | Sleep   | 4    |       |                  |
+-------+--------------+-----------+-----------------+---------+------+-------+------------------+

I kept checking every few seconds, nothing changes except the counter under "Time" - it goes up to 60 seconds, then the "504 gateway timeout" error appears in the browser, and the connection disappears:

+-------+------+-----------+----+---------+------+-------+------------------+
| Id    | User | Host      | db | Command | Time | State | Info             |
+-------+------+-----------+----+---------+------+-------+------------------+

Maryna Chernyavska

Jan 19, 2017, 1:00:46 PM1/19/17
to AtoM Users
Dear community,

Any thoughts what the problem could be? We are stuck here: can't create new descriptions, can't update existing ones, or even delete anything.

Thanks,
Maryna

David Juhasz

Jan 19, 2017, 1:39:24 PM1/19/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maryna,

Sorry to hear that this problem is blocking your use of AtoM.

The MySQL query going to Sleep is a bit odd; my best guess as to the cause is that PHP opens the MySQL connection and then gets busy doing whatever it's doing and doesn't send any actual queries.  This indicates to me that the bottleneck is not in MySQL, but in the code.

Going back to the original error you reported:
2017/01/10 21:07:46 [error] 22758#0: *126 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Warning:  require(/config/sfProjectConfiguration.class.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/sites/atom-2.3.0/vendor/symfony/lib/autoload/sfCoreAutoload.class.php on line 100

I'm not clear if this is what is causing your current problems, so this may be a red herring, but it's all I've got to go on at the moment.   I have two theories as to what could cause this error message.

1) The indicated file is really missing for some reason.

There's no reason for the file to be deleted by the software, so I'm not sure why it why it would be missing. You can double check if the file is there by checking in your AtoM install directory.  Based on the message above, I would guess this should work, but you may have to modify slightly for the actual file path to your AtoM installation:

ls -l /var/sites/atom-2.3.0/config/sfProjectConfiguration.class.php

If the file is not there you will get a message like:

ls: cannot access '/var/sites/atom-2.3.0/config/sfProjectConfiguration.class.php': No such file or directory

2) The application cache is stale, so it's looking in the wrong place for the sfProjectConfiguration.class.php file.

You (or your IT) can clear the cache according to the directions in our AtoM docs for clearing the AtoM application and php caches.

Note that if you are running memcache, you should also restart the memcached service to clear any cached data there:

sudo service memcached restart
I hope that helps!  Let us know the results.

Best regards,
David