Instance of Atom 2.2 suddenly not accessible

pbo...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2017, 11:11:46 AM2/1/17
to AtoM Users
Colleagues,

We have an instance of Atom v2.2 deployed on a cloud server Ubuntu 14.04 that has suddenly is not viewable.  Attempts to access the url atom.gov.kn returns a "This site can’t be reached" message.

I am not familiar with Atom.  Our IT team installed the software last year and shared the URL with our Archive department for data entry.  The Archive depart has been using it since then with no issues at all.  The data files appear to still be present.  I suspect that Nginx or other associates services require a  reset/re-start.

Another interesting issue, is that the logon welcome screen was viewable until the cloud server was restarted.  Since then the "This site can’t be reached" message appears.

Grateful for any assistance you can lend.

Thanks Much

Pierre

Dan Gillean

Feb 1, 2017, 1:09:24 PM2/1/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Pierre,

This does sound like a deployment issue related to your server, so unfortunately the advice we can offer without knowing more about your particular environment is limited.

You can try restarting the Nginx webserver with the following command, from AtoM's root directory:
  • sudo service nginx restart

Does your institution use a firewall of any kind? If so, check the settings and ports etc - same if you are doing any proxying. You might also make sure your domain name certificate is valid and directing you to the correct IP, and that the server itself is responding - can get your IT team to try pinging the server directly?

It sounds like you will need to coordinate with the IT team to investigate the server, and what has changed since it was restarted.

Good luck, and I wish I had more useful suggestions! If there any system administrators following this list with other tips for Pierre to try, please share!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

pbo...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2017, 1:50:33 PM2/1/17
to AtoM Users
Hello Dan,

Thank you kindly for your response.

I have tried the restart command shared, but without success.

If I create a new instance of Atom, can you kindly information how I can migration data from the old instance to the new.  I have SSH access to both VMs.

Thanks Much

Dan Gillean

Feb 1, 2017, 6:14:33 PM2/1/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Pierre,

You will need to make a sqldump of the current database, and a copy of the uploads directory. Essentially, you can follow the same instructions you will find in our upgrade documentation, here:

Good luck!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Pierre G. Bowrin

Feb 2, 2017, 8:22:09 AM2/2/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dan,

A question.  If I share logon credentials to access the server via SSH, can you take a quick a look to determine if a minor adjustment is required?

Thanks Much

Regards,

Pierre G. Bowrin
Information and Communications Technology Policy Advisor
Industry & Innovation Unit, Department of Information Technology
The Cable Building, 1st Floor, Basseterre ♦ Saint Kitts
Wk:     (869) 467-2014 or 467-1431
Mobile: (869) 762-7050
US No: (657) 444-7104
Fax:     (650) 264-3765

"Current events form Future trends ...Gerald Celente"

Dan Gillean

Feb 2, 2017, 1:50:16 PM2/2/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
I'm sorry Pierre, that's beyond both my personal level of skill (I'm an archivist, not a developer or a systems administrator), and the level of free support we are able to offer via the user forum. If you would like to discuss paid support options via Artefactual, feel free to contact me off-list. Good luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

--

Regards,

Pierre G. Bowrin
Information and Communications Technology Policy Advisor
Industry & Innovation Unit, Department of Information Technology
The Cable Building, 1st Floor, Basseterre ♦ Saint Kitts
Wk:     (869) 467-2014 or 467-1431
Mobile: (869) 762-7050
US No: (657) 444-7104
Fax:     (650) 264-3765

"Current events form Future trends ...Gerald Celente"

pbo...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2017, 1:26:32 PM2/6/17
to AtoM Users
Hello Dan,

I managed to regain access to my ATOM instance via the "sudo service nginx restart" command.  However, although I can logon to the instance atom.gov.kn, I do not see the records that were uploaded.  I did not create a new database or re-run the installation.

Can you suggest possible reasons for this challenge as well as solutions.

Thanks Much.

Regards,

Pierre G. Bowrin
Information and Communications Technology Policy Advisor
Industry & Innovation Unit, Department of Information Technology
The Cable Building, 1st Floor, Basseterre ♦ Saint Kitts
Wk:     (869) 467-2014 or 467-1431
Mobile: (869) 762-7050
US No: (657) 444-7104
Fax:     (650) 264-3765

"Current events form Future trends ...Gerald Celente"

Dan Gillean

Feb 8, 2017, 3:55:00 PM2/8/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Pierre,

I'm glad to see that you've made some progress! I'm not sure what is causing your issues - it's difficult to say without knowing more about the installation, and the actions you've taken since then. One thing you could try to gain access is to create a new administrator's account - you can do this from the command-line. See:

You might also be interested in the command-line tutorial videos we've uploaded to YouTube, here:

Videos 5 and 6 might be helpful for troubleshooting your AtoM instance. Video 8 covers the task to create an administrator from the CLI I've linked to above, as well as several other tasks that cover user management.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Pierre G. Bowrin

Feb 10, 2017, 10:59:14 AM2/10/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Dan,

Can you kindly direct me to location/path where AToM stores the data.

Also, how may I access the paid service for 1 hr.

Thank Much

Dan Gillean

Feb 10, 2017, 12:42:17 PM2/10/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Pierre,

All AtoM data is stored in the MySQL database associated with your installation. Its location will depend on how you have installed the application. Digital object uploads are stored in a directory called /uploads, which should be just beneath the root AtoM directory where you've made the installation.

I'll talk to our team and contact you off-list about limited-time remote paid support options.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.